cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32Cube MCU Package vs Keil MDK packages

JNava.1
Associate II

Hi, I am starting to use the STM32 MCUs, in specific, the STM32G0 series. I am planning to use the Keil IDE for developing. I have a question about the package that I must use. I have seen that there is to type of packages containing the CMSIS, LL and HAL drivers, evaluation board drivers, examples, etc. One is the STM32Cube MCU package, downloaded from the ST website and the Keil MDK packages, downloaded directly from the IDE.

As I am new working with STM32, I am not sure about what advantage we have using one package or the other. Could be used both?

Whatever information to clarify that, would be appreciated.

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2

Generally Keil needs to down load it's own PACKs to support a processor and debugging, and allow you to pick it as a TARGET. The packs typically contain the ST HAL at this point, along with some flash loaders, register support for debugger, etc.

With the Pack loaded you should be able to open the examples from CubeG0 trees, in the MDK-ARM project sub-folders, these projects back reference libraries and includes within the CubeG0 trees, not those in the Packs.

ie

..\Repository\STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.16.0\Projects\STM32756G_EVAL\Examples\TIM\TIM_6Steps\MDK-ARM\Project.uvprojx 

If you create a project from scratch in Keil, it will use the materials in the Pack, and you'll need to make effort to change that, and point the include paths, etc to files YOU want to use.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
JNava.1
Associate II

Thank you very much for your answer.

An additional question. We are still evaluating if we use the IAR or the Keil IDE. I saw that IAR use the same Keil packages. So, the explanation you wrote applies to the IAR too.

Then, I want to ask, in your opinion, what IDE is better for STM32 microcontrollers, in efficiency, support, quantity of people using them, etc.?