cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Point ?? Transferring from IAR to STCUBE (ECLIPSE)

rick43065
Associate

After 10 years moving from IAR IDE to STCUBE .

Having spent much, much more time than I really care to admit, I am unable to make a smooth transition to the new platform. So here is the thing: Where can I literally start from the beginning?

One real frustration is that I have hard coded all of my GPIO in the past, now it appears to be as simple as clicking a pin in GUI to set up a pin. Well that's great for NEW code, but I have so much legacy code..-- that does NOT port. Also it turns out the HAL does not work the same (or have the same functions as the previous) ST drivers (it, rcc, and especially stm32f0xx_i2c, etc. )

Right now attempting to setup a disco board with a 4 x 20 LCD display using i2c. Should have been as easy as importing the code, making a few modifications, and "Hello World"

So can anyone please provide a simple starting point. I am NOT asking for a person to debug, or ask me to Google "where to start with STMCUBE"

Just want a good starting point to utilize the new IDE / ST CUBE solutions.

I thank you in advance for any assistance.

Rick

2 REPLIES 2
TDK
Guru

A good starting point would be to create a new project using the configuration tool (STM32CubeMX) and then blink an LED. Once that's working, then change the clock speed. Then add an interface. Etc...

> One real frustration is that I have hard coded all of my GPIO in the past, now it appears to be as simple as clicking a pin in GUI to set up a pin.

Using the macros provided in the CMSIS header "stm32f0xx.h" or similar is the most common approach here, and IMO the best and most readable. You don't have to use the configuration tool, but it is helpful when creating a new project.

You can still use existing code, but it may take a bit to setup a new project. This is the same for importing code into any IDE. If you post the issues you're running into, there is typically a solution.

Yes, HAL is different than the SPL. Might be a good time to transition, if you want.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
berendi
Principal

See my answer in the linked thread.

​​https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W000007YdQqSAK/is-stm32cubeide-compatible-with-spl-library