cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about upgrading from CubeMx 5.1.0/SW4STM32 to the latest Stm32Cube IDE

PVall
Associate II

Is there any information on moving (porting?) from CubeMx 5.1.0 and SW4STM32 to the latest Stm32Cube IDE? I attended an online demo a few months ago and seemed like the set up is quite different from what I am currently using. What would be the advantages to spending the time on a current project or even switching to the newer IDE for future projects? Thanks for any help.

-Phil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

5.1 is really quite old. Yes I would recommend to update.

According to me doesn't matter to perform migration first.

At first .ioc opening within STM32CubeIDE context it will ask you if you want to migrate or not.

As basis is quite old (5.1.0 is 2 years old roughly ?) you may have some delta as result. Just have a try. I f not happy with you could have an extra try selecting to not migrate and stay on 5.1. STM32CubeIDE should be able to handle such.

As all such are conversion , test & try processes obviously keep your primary materiel duplictaed somewhere =)

Relying on L4 according my own experience porting to STM32CubeIDE is quite smooth.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @Community member​ ,

First, I recommend always to use latest release of STM32CubeMX V6.0.1 as contains enhancement and updates.

STM32CubeIDE (all-in-one multi-OS development tool) is the free IDE to develop the STM32 softwares, with STM32CubeMX features integration.

To easily import your project from SW4STM32 to STM32CubeIDE, you can use the import/convert feature, following the available guide "UM2579 Migration guide from System Workbench to STM32CubeIDE".

Have a look at this ST video How to use STM32CubeIDE, will helps you as a starting point to create your own project with STM32CubeIDE.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

My advice would be 2 paths:

1) Either: as you have chance to get an .ioc file available to start a project from scratch within STM32CubeIDE context.

Let's rely on 'File > New > Project from exsiting STM32CubeMX .ioc' file feature.

Then copy paste your legacy code to such project.

2) Or Let's rely on 'File > Import > Import from SW4STM32' feature.

Then add your .ioc file to such project root taking care to get .ioc file name same as project name (same if .ioc file content)

On which device are you relying on ?

PVall
Associate II

Thanks for the prompt responses! The migration guide looks to be quite useful.

Yes, I was wondering if the ioc file would be able to be imported. That would probably be my first try.

Would it be recommended to upgrade CubeMx from 5.1 to 6.0 first before the migration to STM32CubeIDE? (or does it not matter?)

I am using the STM32L4 series.

I may not get to this for a few months but was just wondering how much effort this might take.

5.1 is really quite old. Yes I would recommend to update.

According to me doesn't matter to perform migration first.

At first .ioc opening within STM32CubeIDE context it will ask you if you want to migrate or not.

As basis is quite old (5.1.0 is 2 years old roughly ?) you may have some delta as result. Just have a try. I f not happy with you could have an extra try selecting to not migrate and stay on 5.1. STM32CubeIDE should be able to handle such.

As all such are conversion , test & try processes obviously keep your primary materiel duplictaed somewhere =)

Relying on L4 according my own experience porting to STM32CubeIDE is quite smooth.

Ok, good advice. Thanks!

@Community member​ , When your question is answered, please choosing "Select as Best", so that this thread will be marked as resolved.

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen