cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next version of GNU Tools for STM32 release date?

Nico1
Associate II

Hello,

I've seen that there is a GCC 12.3 version of GNU Tools for STM32 in the repository  here: https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/gnu-tools-for-stm32.

When can I expect this to be released in an official STM32CubeIDE/CubeCLT version?

Does this repository also contain the patches that are part of the STM32CubeIDE toolchain? And does STM also fix bugs in this private repository or does it just follow GNU releases like the official Arm GNU Toolchain?

Thank you for your help 🙂

Regards, Nico

6 REPLIES 6
Nico1
Associate II

I just seen that there is a "Patches" section in the README 😅 So this question is already answered. I still would like to know if STM actively fixes bugs and releases new versions because of this, or if it just follows GNU releases.

Semer CHERNI
ST Employee

Hello @Nico1 

First let me thank you for posting.

The GCC 12.3 is know available to be installed in CubeIDE. You go to Window > Preferences > STM32CubeIDE > Toolchain manager. You can install it from there.

SemerCHERNI_0-1706105731469.png

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Oh I didn't know that. That's good to know!

But for my use case I would like to avoid having to dig up the toolchain from the installation folder of STM32CubeIDE. So a proper release of STM32CubeCLT would be much appreciated, since we want to use it on our build server and currently I don't even quite know how to download the Linux version of the toolchain from an Eclipse software center without setting up a Linux VM and downloading it there.

How can I download this new version? Or how long until the next STM32CubeCLT release?

Semer CHERNI
ST Employee

Hello,

The quickest way to update the toolchain version for the STM32CubeIDECLT, copy the folder of the toolchain from the STM32CubeIDE installation repo "\plugins\com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.gnu-tools-for-stm32.12.3.rel1.win32_1.0.0.202310241603\tools" in the "GNU-tools-for-STM32" folder under the CubeIDECLT installation repo.

You can use this solution and I will reach for the dev team to get a systematic way to make the installation.

BR,
Semer.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Have you gotten an answer yet, when GCC 12.3 will be available as part of a STM32CubeCLT? Or how GNU Tools for STM32 can be released independently of STM32CubeCLT?

If I could wish, it would probably be as a release on Github 🙂

Thanks in advance!

@Nico1 wrote:

If I could wish, it would probably be as a release on Github 🙂

This! I am also looking to get the released binaries for different platforms. The thing is that I generate code with MX along with a Makefile but then I need a toolchain to build and at the moment I manually add the path "\plugins\com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.gnu-tools-for-stm32.12.3.rel1.win32_1.0.0.202310241603\tools" to the Makefile. 

My 2 cents: one could also think to exploit conda-forge for distributing the binaries. At the end, the gnu-stm32-tools source code is available and one could just leave the conda-forge machinery to automatically build, package and redistribute the binaries for any platform. Basically for free. Plus, you would have the opportunity of using conda environments to have isolated environments with different toolchain versions (a little bit how you would do with docker but in a lightweight fashion). That is, I see it at a (almost) zero effort solution but with a number of benefits. DISCLAIMER: I have nothing to do with conda-forge but I recently discovered it and I think they are doing a great job.