cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to set a STM32CubeIDE project as read-only?

RhSilicon
Lead

Hi, I'm using a base project (project_1) to make changes via "Device Configuration Tool Code Generator",

The automatically generated code is used to be updated manually in the project (project_2) which already has code outside the user delimiters.

But sometimes it can happen that there is some involuntary modification of the base project, when consulting and copying the code.

To help avoid modifying the base code, I am using an external text editor, but it would be interesting to be able to use the STM32CubeIDE itself with the base project in read-only mode, which does not accept saving the file, and could generate a warning message for the user.

When opening the "Device Configuration Tool" it is very easy to accidentally authorize auto generation, when navigating the options something might clicked.

I don't know if this is the best way to update a project code (project_2) that can no longer automatically generate via "Device Configuration Tool Code Generator", if there is any simpler way, I appreciate if you can share.

1 REPLY 1
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

"Involuntary modification" can happen to all sorts of files and documents, so IMHO why limit the protection measures to CubeIDE. You can for example keep all your projects in version control, it can detect any changes and revert them if not desired.

(btw, I was working on a project of a general purpose read-only storage and filesystem for end-user desktop OS, with similar goal - but abandoned it because of lack of interest).