cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to create a compile_commands.json file?

ubaldot
Senior

I work in a workspace but I use vim with clangd for editing my code. I am wondering if it is possible to create a compile_commands.json file and if so how. 
If the IDE uses cmake under the hood then it should be rather straightforward but I cannot understand how to proceed. 

see e.g. this:

https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/variable/CMAKE_EXPORT_COMPILE_COMMANDS.html

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ubaldot
Senior

I found an answer by myself, and it is YES.

For those who may need it.

Install a tool that can create a compile_commands.json from a makefile like compiledb or bear (in the following I will use compiledb)

1) Go on Project->  Properties and change add the folder where compiledb is installed in PATH as shown below.

ubaldot_0-1706033627690.png

2) Go to Project -> Build Targets -> Create... Uncheck all the options and add the custom command you need for creating the compile_commands.json file in the Build commands. 

ubaldot_1-1706033783099.png

3) Select the newly created target on the left hand side of CubeIDE, right click and select Build Target.

ubaldot_2-1706033967166.png

4) Once your compile_commands.json is created, you have to move it in the upper folder (root of your project). 

You may have some error related to cyclomatic-complexity, but to solve this is enough to open the compile_commands.json file and remove all the -fcyclomatic-complexity entries.

OBS! I have just discovered this method, so take it with a grain of salt. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ubaldot
Senior

I found an answer by myself, and it is YES.

For those who may need it.

Install a tool that can create a compile_commands.json from a makefile like compiledb or bear (in the following I will use compiledb)

1) Go on Project->  Properties and change add the folder where compiledb is installed in PATH as shown below.

ubaldot_0-1706033627690.png

2) Go to Project -> Build Targets -> Create... Uncheck all the options and add the custom command you need for creating the compile_commands.json file in the Build commands. 

ubaldot_1-1706033783099.png

3) Select the newly created target on the left hand side of CubeIDE, right click and select Build Target.

ubaldot_2-1706033967166.png

4) Once your compile_commands.json is created, you have to move it in the upper folder (root of your project). 

You may have some error related to cyclomatic-complexity, but to solve this is enough to open the compile_commands.json file and remove all the -fcyclomatic-complexity entries.

OBS! I have just discovered this method, so take it with a grain of salt. 

Thanks for this solution.
I'm trying to set it up but I got an error: make: *** No rule to make target 'compile_command'. Stop.
Is there anything to configure with the makefile?

It was long ago, but looking at the screenshots I don't think you need to change the Makefile manually.
Have you done the step 2) correctly? 

Yes I did step 2 as you described.