cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i use J-Link Open Flashloader with STM32CubeIDE while debugging?

Eralp
Associate III

Hi, i have a custom board with STM32H750 with qspi flash and want to debug with j-link debugger. Before i used it with st-link and my custom flashloader while debugging. Now i want to write open loader for my project but i didn't see any settings how to add this loader to STM32CubeIDE.

For example, when i select st-link in debug configurations i can select and load my custom external loader under misc section.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mattias norlander
ST Employee

I have not played with this feature at all. But assuming you have a working Open flashloader you should be able to execute it from inside CubeIDE debug launch flow in two ways:

1. Debug config > Debugger > Use J-Link script file
  2. Or setup an external tools configuration to let J-Flash manage execute your loader before the debug configuration is launched

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
mattias norlander
ST Employee

I have not played with this feature at all. But assuming you have a working Open flashloader you should be able to execute it from inside CubeIDE debug launch flow in two ways:

1. Debug config > Debugger > Use J-Link script file
  2. Or setup an external tools configuration to let J-Flash manage execute your loader before the debug configuration is launched

Eralp
Associate III

Thanks for reply Mattias.

SMoon.2
Associate III

I have the exact same scenario. @Eralp​ what solution did you end up using?

Relatively broad and expanding subset of customized .STLDR external loaders for pin and flash combinations.

https://github.com/cturvey/stm32extldr

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

I continue to use which i wrote flashloader for st-link 🙂 As far as i understand it is necessary to use segger's embedded studio for compiling flashloader and i think it uses external configuration file for debugging.

Using the flashloader for st-link are you able to debug the code on the external flash in CubeIDE?

That's how External Loaders work, that's how ST programs the QSPI devices on the DISCO and EVAL series boards. You specify the loader within the application settings / options.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Eralp
Associate III

Yes, i do. My problem was trying to do with j-link open flashloader.

My understanding is that you have to run the STM32CubeProgrammer prior to doing the debugging, correct? It's not possible to program and run debug in one go, like you would do for internal flash.