cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debug using STM32Cube IDE on MAC os is not working

Old Man
Associate II

The debug using STM32CUBE IDE is working only for the first time after creation of a workspace.

To reproduce:

• Create w new workspace, configure your debug settings and then launch the debugger. Debug is working well.
  • Close or switch the current workspace and try to launch the debugging => the debugging is no more working.

Environment:

• STM32Cube IDE version 1.8.0/1,7.0
  • Debug probe: ST-LINK GDB server/OpenOCD
  • Debugger configuration: default configuration of one of the stm32Cube G0 FW examples
  • MacBook Air M1 (macOS Montery v 12.1 or macOS Big Sur v 11.x) / MacBook Pro (macOS Montery v12.1)

To be able to do the debug again:

• Remove all existing workspaces
  • Create new workspace and import a new example
  • As long as the workspace is open or not switched to another workspace, the debugging is running well.

Ps: STM32 programmer is always able to connect to the stm32 device

Any one saw a similar issue?

4 REPLIES 4
mattias norlander
ST Employee

Hi,

I tried to re-produce without success. Let me describe my process to double-check that I am doing the same thing you are...

1. Create a first workspace
  2. Use File > New STM32 project > Example projects to import an example project (ADC_ContinuousConversion_TriggerSW_Init) from STM32Cube_FW_G0_V1.5.0
  3. Build the project
  4. Debug the project
    1. As a result of this step, I was asked to update the ST-LINK firmware and did so.
  5. Re-launch debug again. Sucessful!
  6. Exit CubeIDE
  7. Launch CubeIDE in a second workspace
  8. Use File > New STM32 project > Example projects to import the same example project (a copy of it, it is not linked from the first workspace).
  9. Build the project
  10. Debug the project. Sucessful!

I then tried to switch backward and foward between workspace1 and workspace2. Each time debug works on the example projects in both workspaces.

My setup:

• Macbook Air M1, Big Sur 11.5.2
  • STM32CubeIDE 1.8.0, using ST-LINK GDB server
  • NUCLEO_G0B1RE

Your detailed input about the setup is a good start, but we need to see error messages or log-files. What is meant by "debugging is no more working". Can you supply:

• screenshot of error messages
  • Workspace log-file
  • debug log-file
  • GDB traces

Maybe we can find a clue in one of these logs...

Old Man
Associate II

@mattias norlander​ Thank you for your response.

In fact, even if I enable the debug logs, I don't have any logs. The thing is that the debugger is not launched. Even the progress bar, in the bottom right of CubeIDE, is not seen.

It is like something is preventing the dgb server from being launched.

As far as you know, is there something could prevent gdbserver like Firewall or Antivirus in Windows?

I have a video about issue reproduction but I don't know how could I share it with you.

looking forward to your response, this point is blocking us.

Thanks!

mattias norlander
ST Employee

Yes, a video recording would be great. Send me the file on e-mail (my e-mail in my user profile).

Or share it as a hidden video on Youtube or similar service...

Anti-virus / firewall can block the GDB client and/or server from running, but that would (in most cases) lead to some error message.

Please also post your workspace log $(WORKSPACE_DIR)\.metadata\.log

Easiest thing could be to:

1. Make a a backup of the ".log" file ".log.bkp"
  2. Then launch CubeIDE
  3. Try to launch debug

Assuming you observed the same error you should now have a clean .log-file only showing errors related to this issue. Assuming it is logged. 🙂

Please post such log...

Old Man
Associate II

@mattias norlander​ Thank you for your response.

I will get back to you when issue is reproduced. And I will give you more details.

(For the moment I have a stable environment and don't want to unsettle it)