cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debug configuration reports "Unsupported build configuration. MCU ARM GCC required for debug."

JBill.10
Associate II

STM32CubeIDE 1.14.1

I have imported a CubeMX generated makefile project.  When I enter the debug configuration dialog, I get an error "Unsupported build configuration. MCU ARM GCC required for debug."

I have not found any documentation from ST indicating how to install this.  I am also curious why a dependency required to debug an ST MCU does not come with ST's Eclipse debugger.

The Eclipse Marketplace returns an error 500 when I search for MCU ARM GCC.

The Install New Software dialog just spins forever, not even loading any package data.

What I'm looking to do:

Debug an MCU application on my target board.

I do not actually care about STM32CubeIDE, I am fine using stock Eclipse.  But I do need documentation on how to set up the actual ST specific debug tooling, and this information either doesn't exist or is difficult to find.  If ST's IDE works, that's fine too, I don't really care.

4 REPLIES 4
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Look in the CubeIDE user manual how to debug a ELF file. This is actually the way to import makefile type projects into CubeIDE. If you don't have the elf file for your target, take any other STM32 elf to start. This procedure lets you specify the target STM32, and it will create a lightweight makefile project which you can then tweak to run your makefile.

That is exactly what I did.  The issue is that CubeIDE is missing a dependency and cannot configure the debugger: "Unsupported build configuration. MCU ARM GCC required for debug."

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Then  please tell us about your setup. Mac OS? Linux?

MCU ARM GCC and GDB come with CubeIDE and should be installed by default.

I am suddenly getting this issue on windows while using stm32cubeIDE. I recently installed arm-none-eabi-gcc for something else and I think that may have messed this up. Any thoughts?