cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[BUG] STM32CubeIDE Live Expression sometimes fail to evaluate expression.

DVolp.5
Associate

Hi,

I have noticed a little problem in the "Live Expressions" function.

The first time I open STM32CubeIDE and debug my firmware, I can see the value of all expressions previously written by me.

When I stop the debug and debug again, some expressions does'nt show the value. Instead this appears the message " Failed to evaluate expression".

The curious is that if I "rename" the expression the correct value appears again. For example, adding a space (or removing a space) at end of a expression with the message " Failed to evaluate expression" solve the problem.

This are happenning with anyone more?

This is a real bug?! How this problem can be solved?

Best regards, 

DIego Volpini

32 REPLIES 32
sgran.1
Associate III

STM32CubeIDE

Version: 1.4.2

Build: 7643_20200813_1322 (UTC) + macOS Catalina == problems

I'm sorry that I'm late to the thread, I saw it now that new activity was happening.

1. Is this only a problem on Catalina or have others experienced it on other platforms as well?
  2. If you step once in the code, does it still say "Failed to evaluate expression"?
  3. Does it happen more frequently if you have multiple expressions?
  4. Do you have a way to reproduce it every time or does it happen every now and then?
Peter.Farkas [hun]
Associate II

Win10 (64bit 1909)

+

STM32CubeIDE Version: 1.4.2

Build: 7643_20200813_1322 (UTC)

Looks better than before. The error could not be reproduced.

sgran.1
Associate III

I managed to defeat the error on Windows and Mac!!

change optimization settings

the victory does not make me happy, since this is not described in any way in the manuals - only the big tambourine of the African shaman is pressed

Project propertys-->Build c/c++ settings-->Tools settings--> GCC compiler Debugging--> Level Maximum -g3

And in Optimization Level --> Optimize for Debugging -0g

After than --->>> all ok

Why -- I dont understand, but it working!

Need ask software team

Great we finally got some attention =)

I have the same issue on Windows 10x 64 (both builds 2004 and 1903)​ with CubeIDE version back from 1.0.0 all the way until latest 1.4.2 (recently did a fresh install on a new PC)

This happens for Live expressions so no need to step through code. If I pause and step or resume it doesn't fix the issue​. Restarting the debug sometimes fixes the issue, but following restarts after that might break it again.

To me it has no dependancy on the amount of expressions and doesn't happen EVERY time but very frequent.

Also I noticed such behavior: when code is running I add expressions to the list. They display fine. After restart some or all of expressions go go the failed state. I can add exactly same expressions lower in the list and they work fine until next restart. And then after couple of more restarts I noticed some of the recently added expressions fail, but some old failed ones sometimes come back alive.

I'm not sure it has to do anything with optimization levels, since it sometimes does work, but after restarting the session with exactly same binary doesn't.. ​

sgran.1
Associate III

I agree with you - this is a strange solution, but it helped me on all my computers MAC and Win10 - while working with the same project at different times on different computers (cloud ONE Drive and MEGA) - and this is stable for the last 7 - 8 days! Oh-oh-oh THIS MIRACLE AND GLORY TO OUR GOD --- >> STM.COM)))))))))))))

sgran.1
Associate III

reinstalling theIDE 1.4.2 did not help solve the problem before

sgran.1
Associate III

the creators of this project should think about how to fix their bug or explain to us how to use it

Exact same issue on my macOS 10.14.6