Everything works

STM32CubeIDE

Version: 1.14.1

Build: 20064_20240111_1413 (UTC)

15 REPLIES 15
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

Do you get any warnings/errors ?

Binary literals aren't part of the C standard - only available by extension - so are you sure it's valid for the language spec you're using?

CORRECTION

Binary literals were introduced in C23:

https://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=3588242#:~:text=C23%20understands%20binary%20literals%20and,binary%20(%2201010101%22).

So they are very new!

STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @nico23 

I've personally tested using the STM32WB55-NUCLEO and the STM32CubeIDE V1.14.1 and this simple code:

/* USER CODE BEGIN 1 */
	int my_var;
	__NOP();
	my_var = 0b01;
  /* USER CODE END 1 */

And that works fine (even without the __NOP() ) and set the my_var to 1 as you can see: 

STTwo32_0-1708534413008.png

Could you give more details about your issue.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

SofLit
ST Employee

And if you add volatile to your declaration :

volatile int my_var;?

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

That might not help prevent it from being optimized.

Memory inspection only works if the value is in memory, not in registers.

Get printf() / STDIO plumbing working, and printf() the value, or sprintf() via HAL_UART_Transmit()

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Still, likely to be exceedingly non-portable..

Memory inspection only works if the value is in memory, not in registers.

Indeed, but in the current case the variable and its affectation is in the memory. 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

@SofLit wrote:

Indeed, but in the current case the variable and its affectation is in the memory. 

Well, in your test they were - we can't tell what happened in the OP's case ...

@nico23 - you need to provide a minimum but complete example which illustrates the issue.

Contextually its not presented well enough.

Could be an auto/local variable, which might mean it's held in a register or on the stack.

If it's not throwing a syntax error on compilation I'd assume one hurdle has been jumped. Looking at a disassemble or listing file might give an idea about what is / is not happing.

Not clear how it's being viewed, or how the determination is made it has the wrong value in reality.

TDK
Guru

There is no chance the compiler is not handling this correctly. Likely to be you misinterpreting the data. Not enough information presented to reproduce or even verify the claim.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".