cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transition from DeveloperPackage to DistributionPackage for a Custom Board

bimorqt
Associate III

Hello everyone,

I am trying to define a machine configuration file for a custom board using the DistributionPackage (I am following this approach from the ST wiki and my directory tree is the same described there).

Currently, I managed to successfully boot my custom board using the DeveloperPackage, this makes me believe that the device tree files I generated using the ST MX Cube are okay.

From my understanding, it is not possible to generate the filesystem files (e.g. ext4) within the DeveloperPackage (I used the ones from the StarterPackage); can you confirm this?

So far, I populated the mx directory under

<path of STM32MP1_Distribution_Package>/layers/meta-st/meta-st-stm32mp-addons/

with the device tree files I generated using the DeveloperPackage and its directory tree looks as it follows:

mx
└── es-frank-ghiacciolo
    ├── kernel
    │   └── stm32mp157c-es-frank-ghiacciolo-mx.dts
    ├── optee-os
    │   └── stm32mp157c-es-frank-ghiacciolo-mx.dts
    ├── tf-a
    │   ├── stm32mp157c-es-frank-ghiacciolo-mx.dts
    │   ├── stm32mp157c-es-frank-ghiacciolo-mx-fw-config.dts
    │   └── stm32mp15-mx.dtsi
    └── u-boot
        ├── stm32mp157c-es-frank-ghiacciolo-mx.dts
        ├── stm32mp157c-es-frank-ghiacciolo-mx.dts.bak
        └── stm32mp157c-es-frank-ghiacciolo-mx-u-boot.dtsi

1. Can you confirm that generating device tree files with the DeveloperPackage and importing them in the DistributionPackage is a valid approach?
  2. Can you confirm that it is allowed to have the machine name (i.e. the project name under the mx folder) not matching the names of the device tree files?
  3. Can you confirm that it is allowed not to have the string "stm32mp1" as the prefix of my custom machine?

The first blocking error I am experiencing when I use the bitbake command is reported in the attached log file, this happens when the rootfs file is being generated:

E: Failed to fetch store: (...) (36: File name too long)

To exclude that something else is wrong in my setup, I tried to define a new machine named "es-fg" and the build was successful. This leads to the second problem I am experiencing: no .tsv nor sdcard.stm32 files are generated, even though I configured them in the corresponding machine configuration file (see attached file)

I feel like the filename problem and the missing generated files are somehow related, but I am struggling to find exhaustive examples for the DistributionPackage.

Is there a way to manipulate the name of the filesystems being referenced? The referenced filenames are absolute paths and includes quite long strings.

Thank you in advance for the support!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @bimorqt​ 

From my understanding it might be the known issue with meta-st-stm32mp-addons in DV4.0.0 release

A patch is available in 4.0.2.

refer to :

meta-st-stmp32-addons variable issue ecosystem v4.0.0 - Kirkstone

and

OpenSTLinux Distribution patch release V4.0.2 is available

Both pinned at the top of the STM32 MPUs Community threads.

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
bimorqt
Associate III

Update on, so far I managed to solve

E: Failed to fetch store: (...) (36: File name too long)

following this other approach, where the machine configuration is placed within a custom layer under the meta-st.

Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem about:

• generation of the flashlayout .tsv files; the flashlayout directory is created in the image deploy directory by the bitbake command, but there is no content inside the trusted and deleteall subfolders
  • generation of the sdcard.stm32 file; the BOOTDEVICE_LABELS is set accordingly with "sdcard" in the machine configuration file, but the corresponding file is not generated in the arm-trusted-firmware directory in the image deploy directory

Any help is greatly appreciated!

bimorqt
Associate III

bimorqt
Associate III

any news on this?

Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @bimorqt​ 

From my understanding it might be the known issue with meta-st-stm32mp-addons in DV4.0.0 release

A patch is available in 4.0.2.

refer to :

meta-st-stmp32-addons variable issue ecosystem v4.0.0 - Kirkstone

and

OpenSTLinux Distribution patch release V4.0.2 is available

Both pinned at the top of the STM32 MPUs Community threads.

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
bimorqt
Associate III

I confirm this solved the issue, thanks for the support.

Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @bimorqt​ ,

Thanks for feedback and sorry for the inconvenience.

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN