cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Necessity of eMMC

tatsuya
Associate II

Hi team,

I am developing the board referring to the "STM32MP157 EVAL"(MB1263-C04 Board schematic).

https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/stm32mp157f-ev1.html#cad-resources

STM32MP157 EVAL has an SD card slot and eMMC as storage media.

I think the sample Linux environment (demo environment) is stored in the SD card, but is eMMC necessary?

(If an SD card is installed, is it not necessary to install eMMC?)

Best regard,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Erwan SZYMANSKI
ST Employee

Hello @tatsuya​,

The eval board is here to present the different features that the stm32mp15 can offer. As you well said, we have both SDcard and eMMC available on eval board. If you want to use SDcard as a boot method, so no eMMC is not used at all. We just offer both possibilities for customer who would like to test their preferred method.

As you mentioned it, the default method explained in the different wiki pages will use SDcard.

I hope that this information will help you.

Kind regards,

Erwan.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Select as Best' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. See also 'Best Answers'

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Erwan SZYMANSKI
ST Employee

Hello @tatsuya​,

The eval board is here to present the different features that the stm32mp15 can offer. As you well said, we have both SDcard and eMMC available on eval board. If you want to use SDcard as a boot method, so no eMMC is not used at all. We just offer both possibilities for customer who would like to test their preferred method.

As you mentioned it, the default method explained in the different wiki pages will use SDcard.

I hope that this information will help you.

Kind regards,

Erwan.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Select as Best' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. See also 'Best Answers'

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi @tatsuya​ 

I confirm @Erwan SZYMANSKI​ statements.

I want to mention that SD-Card is rarely the only boot media in an real consumer or industrial product.

As removable and replaceable, SD-Card is more prone to long term issues (Card reliability, end-user mistakes, connector failure, dust, etc..)

Embedded Flash (eMMC, parallel NAND, Serial-NOR, Serial-NAND) are usually preferred.

Anyway, an SD-Card-only product is fine for development or demonstration products (like STM32MP157F-DK2 or RaspberryPi)

Regards.