cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install node-red-node-sqlite on STM32MP157F-DK2

LewisN
Associate

Hi all,

I am working with a STM32MP157F-DK2 board, and I am trying to implement a Node-Red web application. I use the Openstlinux Developer package on the board and thanks to the package repository given by ST, I was able to install the NodeJS LTS version and npm. Node-Red works well, I can see all my flows in the web browser. In my application, I would like to use the node-red-node-sqlite node to access a database hosted in the STM32MP157F-DK2.

Here is my problem: During the installation process, node-pre-gyp is trying to reach an URL where are stored pre-built binaries. However, this URL returns a "Forbidden access" (see image attached), and so node-pre-gyp calls the compiler of the board to build the necessary files. Thus, I cannot install the SQLite node because it requires a compiler during the installation process, compiler that does not exist on the STM32 board.

According to the internet, this error from node-pre-gyp seems to be quite common and I did not find a solution that works, except to build files on source.

So, I would like to know if it is possible to install this node. Has anyone ever had to deal with this node-pre-gyp error on an embedded Linux board?

And if the solution is to build necessary files on source, how is it possible to accomplish that through cross-compilation with the Developer package?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Lewis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jean-Marc B
ST Employee

Hi @LewisN​ 

The package node-red-node-sqlite is integrated in our OpenSTLinux package repository server:

root@stm32mp1:~# apt-cache policy node-red-node-sqlite
node-red-node-sqlite:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.0.1-r0
  Version table:
     1.0.1-r0 500
        500 http://packages.openstlinux.st.com/3.0 dunfell/updates armhf Packages

Best regards,

--JM

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @LewisN​ ,

I cannot comment for the access issue to the url. Maybe this require some specific rights ? to pay some fee ?

"because it requires a compiler during the installation process, compiler that does not exist on the STM32 board."

For this point you can make an attempt to generate a image which embed on board compilation capability.

For that you need to generate a new image with Yocto adding :

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " packagegroup-core-buildessential"

Hope it help

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Jean-Marc B
ST Employee

Hi @LewisN​ 

I tried to build the package node-red-node-sqlite but without any success as I have still an error. I think the problem is related to npm and I am not an expert in this domain.

However, these are the steps I did from a fresh installation of the OpenSTLinux environment:

$ DISTRO=openstlinux-weston MACHINE=stm32mp1 source layers/meta-st/scripts/envsetup.sh
$ devtool add "npm://registry.npmjs.org;package=node-red-node-sqlite;version=1.0.1" `pwd`/node-red-node-sqlite

This gives you a new directory workspace/recipes/node-red-node-sqlite. This directory contains the recipe node-red-node-sqlite_1.0.1.bb and the shrinkwrap file node-red-node-sqlite/npm-shrinkwrap.json.

As the shrinkwrap file contains references to node-rep-gyp which is deprecated, I replaced them with references to @mapbox/node-rep-gyp. I also added these lines in the sqlite3 section but I think they can be removed:

"scripts": {
                "install": "@mapbox/node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build"
            },

I then copied the recipe and the shrinkwrap file in my layer and runs bitbake:

$ bitbake node-red-node-sqlite

However, I have an error related to python and I don't know how to fix it. It seems to me there is a flaw in the npm build process which uses python in one of its command while it has detected previously that python3 should be used.

I attach the recipe and the shrinkwrap file as an archive if you want to make more experiments from my work.

Best regard,

--JM

Hi @LewisN​ 

I found a work-around to bypass the remaining errors and checked the installation / uninstallation of the packages on my board. I don't know if it is functional but the package is finally installed.

Could you check from the new attached archive please? If it is stable, I will push the package on our OpenSTLinux package repository server.

Best regards,

--JM

Jean-Marc B
ST Employee

Hi @LewisN​ 

The package node-red-node-sqlite is integrated in our OpenSTLinux package repository server:

node-red-node-sqlite:
  Candidate: 1.0.1-r0
  Version table:
     1.0.1-r0 500

Best regards,

--JM

LewisN
Associate

Hi @Community member​ and @Jean-Marc B​,

I apologize for the late reply, I don't know why but my mailbox identified ST Community as spam, so I only saw your answers yesterday. 

Thank you very much for your help, I installed the package from the OpenSTLinux package repository and it works fine.

There is just one more thing to do to make the package work with node-red: It is necessary to modify the first line of the sqlite3-binding.js file which is located in "your_path/node-red-node-sqlite/node_modules/sqlite3/lib/". This file calls the non-existent node-pre-gyp module instead of the @mapbox/node-pre-gyp module.

So, just changing the line "var binary = require('node-pre-gyp');" to "var binary = require('@mapbox/node-pre-gyp');" made everything work.

Thanks again for your support!

Best regards,

Lewis

Thank you @LewisN​  for your precious feedback.

I reverted the changes related to node-pre-gyp that were finally not relevant against the initial build problem. I can still build the package with my other changes and install it on the board. I studied and implemented a short node-red-node-sqlite example and it is functional.

So a new version of the package node-red-node-sqlite is available into the OpenSTLinux Package Repository server:

root@stm32mp1:~# apt-get update
<snap>
node-red-node-sqlite:
  Candidate: 1.0.1-r1
  Version table:
     1.0.1-r1 500

You can install it with the command:

root@stm32mp1:~# apt-get install node-red-node-sqlite

Best regards,

--JM