Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gigabit Ethernet device design and implementation

mmichala
Associate

Hi all,

I would like to design a device with the following features:

• Dual Gigabit ethernet,
  • Encrypted communication: SNMPv3, HTTPS, SMTPS.

I am looking for a SoC that makes it possible to achieve this functionality. After doing some research, I have found the STM32MP135F which seems to be able to achieve this functionality.

There is a development board of the mentioned SoC, but it has 2 ethernet ports that run only at 100Mb/s. Regarding the STM32MP135F datasheet, it is able to run two gigabit ports by having two RGMII interfaces.

My Concerns are:

1) Is it possible to run gigabit ethernet by using the STM32MP135F SoC?

2) If yes, then I am wondering if there is an easy way to test it?

3) Can I test the GbE link by using the STM32MP135F-DK board?

4) Are there other ICs (that would require less complicated design), that allow to achieve the same functionality?

Any help is apprecciated!

8 REPLIES 8
ravo
Senior

Dear @mmichala,

It's long time from post...

I do similar research for dual ethernet. After playing with STM32MP135F-DK board I summarize:

1) yes you can run 1gbit ethernet on STM32MP135F

2) you can test with NetX Duo API - but for 1Gbit you will need custom HW

3) STM32MP135F-DK board support only 100Mbit

4) I know that from STM is STM32MP13 only MPU which has dual Ethernet capability.

Radim

Hi @ravo 

You should build you own board or find a 3rd party STM32MP135F board providing dual gigabit ethernet, (there is no ST development board with dual Gigabit ethernet).

In addition, the brand new STM32MP25 could provide a 2 x Gigabit Ethernet GMAC and includes a internal Gigabit switch to achieve a total of 3 x Gigabit Ethernet ports.

All the ports provides also Time Sensitive Network (TSN) capabilities.

Last but not least, the STM32MP257F-EV1 board is providing all of this natively (prerelease board currently available under request thru https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/STM32MP257F-EV1?qs=ZcfC38r4PosgjLnr0guC7A%3D%3D).
You can see it in action here.
Please have a look to https://www.st.com/en/microcontrollers-microprocessors/stm32mp2-series.html

Full product availability is planned for end of June 2024.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
ravo
Senior

Dear @PatrickF 

Thanks for comments and information about new STM32MP25. It looks great. But I would like to ask if STM32MP25 will have bare metal support from ST, or if it will be same as with STM32MP15 series (support only for cortex M4 mcu) ? We have project based on STM32 H7 but would like to migrate to MP13 or MP25. But we prefer no OS, maybe only FreeRTOS / ThreadX.

Best Regards

Radim

Hi,

Situation is very similar than STM32MP15 and STM32MP13.
In first intent, the STM32MP25 focus on Linux and Android, and so, will not have any bare-metal delivery for Cortex-A35. Bare-metal only provided for Cortex-M33 (available today).
There will be bare-metal offer on future STM32MP21, still having two GMAC, but no HW ethernet switch.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Dear @mmichala 

Thanks for info,

I don't need HW ethernet switch. If it will also have two GMAC than STM32MP21 could look good. On eval board will have 100Mbit or 1Gbit ETH ?

Radim

Hi,

STM32MP21 ecosystem is still under development, I fear there will be only a discovery board with a single 100M or 1Gbit/s Ethernet port (to keep board affordable).
You should evaluate some of the STM32MP21 features like dual Gigabit by using the STM32MP25 Evaluation board (with Linux) or wait for your own STM32MP21 board (or maybe seek for a 3rd party board).

Regards.

ravo
Senior

Dear @PatrickF 

Thanks for more detailed information about STM32MP21. It looks similar to STM32MP13 but I have look ad device selector https://www.st.com/en/microcontrollers-microprocessors/stm32mp2-series/products.html

And for single core STM32MP251 there are only variants which have only 1 ethernet port. So it is useless for our application (better use STM32MP13) 

I just do some research for SOM manufactures and they provide BSP and support preferably only for Linux.

But I would like to program "bare metal" so I am now back on ST development board only.

I don't found eny EVK evaluation board with 1Gbit PHY, buti found that there is already driver for rtl8211eg (found on STM32MP157 dvk board) but I hope that it should also work with STM32MP13 without problem, but there we must design own board. 

Regards

Radim

Hi,

please have a look to this board, which provide STM32MP135F together with dual Gigabit ethernet.
https://www.dh-electronics.com/en/embedded-products/development-carrier-boards/detail/dhsbc-stm32mp13

Regards