Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom u-boot splash screen

NPal.2
Senior

Hi all,

I have small query around u-boot.

1. How can i update my custom boot screen for the u-boot?
  2. How can add my custom application to start post boot?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jean-Marc B
ST Employee

Hello @NPal.2​ 

About your second question, I think you should look at systemd service and use its features. Define a systemd service file (I let you search information on internet) and once your systemd service file is created, just run the commands:

$ systemctl enable <myservice>
$ systemctl start <myservice>
$ systemctl status <myservice>

You can integrate the start of your application through systemd into your Yocto application recipe. Your recipe had to inherit from systemd:

inherit systemd

In your do_install function, install your files in particularly your service file:

do_install() {
[snap]
   install -d ${D}${systemd_unitdir}/system
   install -m 0644 ${S}/<path to your file>/<myservice>.service ${D}${systemd_unitdir}/system
[snap]
}

Then complete your recipe with these lines:

SYSTEMD_PACKAGES = "${PN}"
SYSTEMD_SERVICE_${PN} = "<myservice>.service"
SYSTEMD_AUT_ENABLE_${PN} = "enable"

(the last line is optional as «enable» is the default).

Best regards,

--JM

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Jean-Marc B
ST Employee

Hello @NPal.2​ 

For your first question, I think you can update the recipe under layers/meta-st/meta-st-stm32mp/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-stm32mp-splash_2018.11.bb and add your images in the directory layers/meta-st/meta-st-stm32mp/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-stm32mp-splash,. Be careful to respect existing format and dimensions (see ST image examples).

For your next question, I am sorry but I don't have the reply and let some experts to reply to you.

Best regards,

--JM

Hi @Jean-Marc B​ : Thank you for the response. Will try the same and see if i can achieve that.

Jean-Marc B
ST Employee

Hello @NPal.2​ 

About your second question, I think you should look at systemd service and use its features. Define a systemd service file (I let you search information on internet) and once your systemd service file is created, just run the commands:

$ systemctl enable <myservice>
$ systemctl start <myservice>
$ systemctl status <myservice>

You can integrate the start of your application through systemd into your Yocto application recipe. Your recipe had to inherit from systemd:

inherit systemd

In your do_install function, install your files in particularly your service file:

do_install() {
[snap]
   install -d ${D}${systemd_unitdir}/system
   install -m 0644 ${S}/<path to your file>/<myservice>.service ${D}${systemd_unitdir}/system
[snap]
}

Then complete your recipe with these lines:

SYSTEMD_PACKAGES = "${PN}"
SYSTEMD_SERVICE_${PN} = "<myservice>.service"
SYSTEMD_AUT_ENABLE_${PN} = "enable"

(the last line is optional as «enable» is the default).

Best regards,

--JM