cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

consequences forced/unexpected shutdown of the STM32MP157-DK1

JMart.13
Senior

Hi everyone, hope you are having a good day/night.

We are planning to have the STM32MP157-DK1 board with a battery working. If there is an unexpected shutdown or forced one on this board, the memory could be corrupted? or damaged? or is better to implement an external circuit to make a "soft" shutdown, like, turn off the switch and it continues working until the shutdown is complete.

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi,

that's an interesting question.

The design of the board is done in the way to activate reset on VIN failure and start a supply power down sequence in few ten of ms. This sequence might not finish completely if VIN is falling faster than that.

Obviously, the only concern is the SD-Card, and if a write was in progress during shutdown, it is unavoidable to have some filesystem corruptions which will usually be corrected on next reboot.

I think this is mostly linked to Linux filesystem robustness than STM32MP157D-DK1 board HW nor real SD-Card failure.

As you have a battery, this could mean the VIN will decay slowly allowing enough time to cleanly shutdown Linux (matters of few seconds).

It would be elegant to manage the STPMIC interrupt VINLOW_RI (mean VIN is below a programmable threshold) interrupt to initiate an immediate shutdown sequence.

As I'm not SW expert, I cannot confirm that interrupt is ready to be used in our SW deliveries. I will try to get an answer.

Remark: We remind that the license associated with ST development board is only for development purposes. Selling in commercial products is not allowed (there is many 3rd party STM32MP1xx products for that purpose). Please have a look on this topic : https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W000015ZNffSAG/dk1-evb-in-production-environment

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Select as Best' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. See also 'Best Answers'

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.