cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Module.symvers of openstlinux-4.19

MBeck
Associate

I am trying to add a kernel module for USB serial devices following: https://askubuntu.com/questions/168279/how-do-i-build-a-single-in-tree-kernel-module

In order to build just the module, not a completely new kernel , I would need the Module.symvers file. Any idea where to find it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bernard PUEL
ST Employee

Yocto build is not providing this file by default, so ST is not providing it in its delivery. So you will need to build the kernel to have it (but I understand this is what you don't want to do ...).

We think the safer and generic way to proceed is to make the menuconfig and rebuild the kernel with this config. This is the only way to make sure all the dependencies are well managed.

OpenSTLinux kernel is not big and you will need only 10/15 minutes to build it from scratch with the Developer package (see the link above).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi,

Did you have a look to wiki article here ?

https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/How_to_cross-compile_with_the_Developer_Package

Section 6 Modifying/adding an external Linux kernel module might give you some clue

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Yes, I have seen that. This is what I am doing, but without Module.symvers you need to force insmod the resulting kernel modules. Without the file, a complete re-built of the kernel is required.

Bernard PUEL
ST Employee

Yocto build is not providing this file by default, so ST is not providing it in its delivery. So you will need to build the kernel to have it (but I understand this is what you don't want to do ...).

We think the safer and generic way to proceed is to make the menuconfig and rebuild the kernel with this config. This is the only way to make sure all the dependencies are well managed.

OpenSTLinux kernel is not big and you will need only 10/15 minutes to build it from scratch with the Developer package (see the link above).