cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sporadically I2C Errors (HAL/Communication Errors)

JFrer.1
Associate

Hallo in our company we use for a large Project a STM32 MP153a microprocessor. Currently I'm trying to write a Device Driver for the TDK ICM42688P Mems Gyro. We have connected the Gyro trough I2C with the Cortex M4 core within the MPU. Both devices are located on a custom PCB and the Gyro is routed to the I2C2 Interface of the MPU (I2C2_SCL = PZ6, I2C2_SDA = PZ7). The Gyro is the only Device on this Interface (I2C2). We use a I2C Voltage of 1.8V and both devices support these voltage. The I2C2 Interface is in the Polling Mode.

For my driver I have to read multiple registers of the Gyro therefore I use the HAL_I2C_MEM_READ function of the STM32 HAL which is in the HAL generated from CubeMX. I noticed that I get random Communication Errors so I have written a simple testcase in which I only read the Device ID of the Gyro in a while loop. Here is the pseudo code of this testcase so you have an idea how it works:

while(1)

{

retVal_e = icm42688pReadRegister(ICM42688P_BANK_0_WHO_AM_I, &regValue_u8);

if(retVal_e == Std_ReturnType_CommError)

{

TRACE_ERROR("This is a Communication Error");

errorCounter_u16++;

}

osDelay(10); //time in milliseconds

}

The retVal_e contains the status of the communication. If its all fine the loop waits for 10 ms and will do another read. If there is a error the error counter will be incremented and a print will appear on the console. In the first place the osDelay was set to 1 ms in this testcase I roughly get 200 errors in 30 s but our company has a zero error tolerance so this is inacceptable. After this I tested the other I2C devices on the PCB if there will be also errors. On the I2C1 Interface we have a MS5837 Pressure sensor and a RX8804 real time clock. I tested both devices in a quit similar way --> polling some data in a while loop. The communication with both devices was flawless even if I have no delay at all just the read function in the while loop. We also got an Ina231 power monitor on the I2C3 Interface. I tested this device too but this communication was again flawless even without a delay. For you to notice both I2C Interfaces (I2C1 and I2C3) are configured in Fast Mode with the Standard Timing (tr and tf = 0 ns) and the Analog Filter enabled while the digital Filter coefficient 0. Also both interfaces use a DMA communication for streams that are bigger than 10 Bytes. Therefore the testcases didn't used the DMA (only a single register read in the while loop). Back to the I2C2 Interface. I looked with a very fast scope on the bus and the positive voltage and saw that the pullup resistor was a bit to large because the clk high phases were nearly spikes so I changed the 4.7k Pullups to 1.8k Pullups. Thereafter the bus looked really nice and the serial encryption of the scope recognized the correct communication sequence (I attached a pic of the normal sequence (device address: 0x68, register address: 0x75, device ID: 0x47). I also get much less errors roughly 10 errors in 30 s (with 1 ms delay). I set a breakpoint to the faulty communication so I could observe the bus in the scope in case of a communication error. Then a communication error occurred the bus looks still very fine and no significant change to the previous sequences could be seen therefore I assume the fault is in the MPU or in the software and not in the gyro or on the bus.

On the search of a solution I tested also the Standard Mode instead of the Fast Mode. I usually get more Errors in the Standard Mode than in the Fast Mode so this is strange. I noticed if I disable the Analog Filter I'll get a bit less errors. When I enable the Analog Filter and set the digital Filter coefficient to 15 (max) then I will get more errors. I also measured the real rise and fall times on the bus (10% to 90% --> tr ~255 ns, tf ~ 25 ns) and used these values in the timing in CubeMX. A few test later I get the fewest errors if I choose the Fast Mode with the Analog Filter disabled and the digital Filter coefficient set to 0 and if I choose a rise time of 300 ns and a fall time of 30 ns. Even with these settings I roughly get 4 errors in 30 s (with 1 ms delay). Keep in Mind that the communication on the bus looks similar to the picture in the attachment and no error is visible on the bus.

Trough some Debugging I located the error at the waiting for some flags. Over a period of 10 minutes I could capture 3 timeouts for the RXNE flag in the HAL_I2C_Mem_Read() function. I also received 3 timeouts for the TXIS flag in the I2C_RequestMemoryRead() which is called in the HAL_I2C_Mem_Read() function. Also in the I2C_RequestMemoryRead() function I got 6 timeouts for the TC flag. Each time the communication on the bus looks good but the MPU didn't get the right sample.

I already looked up the errata sheet of the STM32 MP153A (ES0438 Rev 7). There is a case (2.19.1) of wrong data sampling if the data setup time is shorter than one I2C kernel clock period. As a workaround I increased the I2CClk Frequency from the previous 64 MHz (Clk src HSI) to 100.5 MHz (Clk src PCLK1) and changed the Timing respectively. This workaround did not help and the errors did not vanish. I even tried a much slower I2C Kernel Clk with 4 MHz (Clk src CSI) but this also did not work. In the next case (2.19.2) there are bus errors with the consequence that the BERR flag is set. I checked this flag but this flag is never set when I get an error. The next case (2.19.3) is not relevant because we don't have a multi master bus. Also the next case (2.19.4) is not relevant because we have clock stretching enabled. The last case (2.19.5) speaks from a stall after the transfer of the first byte if the ratio of the I2c APB Clock and the I2c Kernel Clock is between 1.5 and 3.0. The Workaround is the changing of this ratio to be higher than 3 or to be lower than 1.5. The APB Clk is set to 100.5 MHz and can not be changed due to the project requirements but I already increased the I2C Kernel Clk to 100.5 MHz and 4 MHz (see above) therefore the ratio is either 1.0 or 25.1 and also this workaround did not help.

I made the observation if I increase the delay in the while loop from 1 ms to 10 ms or even 100 ms I get no errors within 5 min. I even tested the communication with a delay from 10 ms within 30 min in two runs. In the first run I didn't get an error at all and in the second run I get a single error. For these tests I changed the I2C kernel clk back to the previously 64 MHz. This seems to be a workaround but we have a zero error tolerance and we need a communication rate of at least 200 Hz so the delay of 10 ms is already to long.

You see I already tested a lot of things and I have a urgent need for some help. I hope you have some things I can also test and maybe there is the right solution for my Problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JFrer.1
Associate

Thank you for the input but I think I found the fault in the voltage supply for the Gyro. The chip gets a VDD Voltage of 3.3V and a VDDIO Voltage of 1.8V. I looked with a scope on both voltages. The Voltage for the IO Pins of the gyro had a ripple of 330 mVpp which equals to a ratio of 18% ripple. In the first instance I added some extra capacitors. The ripple is now at roughly 50mVpp I also have reduced the pullups to 1.5k. I tested this setup over the weekend. There was 263 errors over the entire weekend in 2.37 billion communications this equals to an error rate of 0.111ppm. I think with some extra smoothing this will get even better.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi @JFrer.1​ 

maybe worth to look (i.e. zoom) at timings within a bit to see if they cope with all I2C standard requirements (rise/fall/delay/setup/hold) for Start/Stop/data_write/data_read/ack.

I understand you have STM32MP153A with VDD=1.8V, please confirm the voltage as even if open-drain, an I2C with 1.8V signalling will not work if VDD=3.3V.

Did you tried increasing a bit the IOSPEEDR (e.g. from 0b00 to 0b01) for related I2C IOs to see if any positive or negative impact ?

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
PatrickF
ST Employee

Btw, you mention having measured a rise time of 255ns with 1.8K pull-up which mean your bus is quite loaded (maybe 80pF). Usually not an issue with I2C.

But note that ICM-42688-P datasheet mention a required rise time below 120ns (whereas it is 1000 ns and 300ns for respectively Standard and Fast-mode as per I2c standard).

Maybe worth to try reducing again the pull-ups resistors. You could try 820 or even 600 ohms as we are on 1.8V so current is still below 3mA and IO levels should still be ok.

It should be also worth to discuss with sensor manufacturer as from your message above, the issue might be that the sensor does not answer (or give bad answer) if asked too frequently. There might be some limitations or configuration to do on their side.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
JFrer.1
Associate

Thank you for the input but I think I found the fault in the voltage supply for the Gyro. The chip gets a VDD Voltage of 3.3V and a VDDIO Voltage of 1.8V. I looked with a scope on both voltages. The Voltage for the IO Pins of the gyro had a ripple of 330 mVpp which equals to a ratio of 18% ripple. In the first instance I added some extra capacitors. The ripple is now at roughly 50mVpp I also have reduced the pullups to 1.5k. I tested this setup over the weekend. There was 263 errors over the entire weekend in 2.37 billion communications this equals to an error rate of 0.111ppm. I think with some extra smoothing this will get even better.

Hi,

Good to see you almost solve the issue and that the STM32MP15 was not the root cause.

If average power consumption of sensor is low, a local RC filtering on it's supply might be worth.

Don't know if you have long wires to the sensor, maybe I2C pull-ups might work better on near side of the link (i.e. resistors close to the master) to reduce far side noise on supply.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Select as Best' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. See also 'Best Answers'