cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Linux Kernel not apply ST-sensor driver to pressure sensor?

NHuhs.2394
Associate II

I connected an external sensor via i2c and modified the device tree dk2 with following addition:

&i2c5 {
	status = "okay";
	clock-frequency = <100000>;
	pinctrl-names = "default", "sleep";
	pinctrl-0 = <&i2c5_pins_a>;
	pinctrl-1 = <&i2c5_pins_sleep_a>;

pressure@5c{
		compatible = "st,lps22hb-press";
		reg = <0x5c>;
		vdd-supply = <&v3v3>;

};

I am able to see the sensor on the correct address in the register but the kernel doesnt seem to recognize it as a st pressure sensor. Its also not shown in the list of iio.

I also modified the device tree dk1 like this:

&i2c5 {
	status = "okay";
	clock-frequency = <100000>;
	pinctrl-names = "default", "sleep";
	pinctrl-0 = <&i2c5_pins_a>;
	pinctrl-1 = <&i2c5_pins_sleep_a>;
}

the sensor is the correct one btw.

edit:

I also checked in the config that ST-sensor-Drivers are activated before building.

7 REPLIES 7
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hello,

this could help you : https://bootlin.com/blog/building-a-linux-system-for-the-stm32mp1-connecting-an-i2c-sensor/

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
NHuhs.2394
Associate II

Hi Patrick,

thanks for your answer but that is exactly the documentation I used to get to the point where I am now.

It worked perfectly up to the point "Describing the BME280 in the Device Tree".

the "compatible" string should be correct as I copied it directly from the list of compatible strings in the st-sensors.txt.

p.s.: The sensor is located on a waveshare sense-hat which is connected via i2c. could that be a problem?

best regards,

Niklas

PatrickF
ST Employee

This might help you : https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/How_to_integrate_the_IKS01A2_expansion_board_with_STM32MP157C-DK2

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
NHuhs.2394
Associate II

Unfortunately still no success.

I'll try using a different sensor to see if results are different there.

Did you check the kernel configuration using: cat /proc/config.gz | gunzip | grep ST_PRESS

yes I did. everything is enabled. I also tried enabling it with <*> in menuconfig instead of building it as a module but same results

okay after rebuilding the kernel from the beginning one last time it worked somehow.

No idea what was causing the problem. I just did everything as before, added the changes to the device trees and the driver is added as a module.

Anyway thanks for taking your time to help me.