Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STLINK-V3PWR feedback

mete
Senior

Not sure if this is the right place to write this, but I cannot help to write:

- STLINK-V3PWR is a great tool.

- I wish it had an external power input other than USB-C. It may be common in some computer setups, but powered USB ports might be challenging to find, and hubs with powered ports are not easy to find. The power specs of the ports are also not always given. An external power input would solve this for good. By chance, the USB hub I purchased a while ago for a different purpose has charging data ports, which helped in this case.

- I did not check the recent boards, and I don't know if the product design thinking is that this is going to be used on customer-designed boards with debug connectors. However, not all boards have such connectors, and the debug pins on STLINK-V3PWR are not exposed. By chance, I have an adapter/break-out board for ARM10 and I used that but I think the product should have either a break-out board included or even better these pins (SWD) should also be exposed like the bridge interface.

1 REPLY 1
NateS
Associate III

Some feedback from me:

• The V3PWR stops logging SWO when messages are sent at ~60Hz after about 85 messages (thread here). With the same setup except the V3PWR swapped for a V3SET or V3MINIE, SWO works fine and never stops logging. This is unacceptable and makes the V3PWR useless to me for development.
  • I haven't tried the power monitoring feature yet, since due to the above the V3PWR fails to meet basic programmer requirements. Similar devices are MCU-Link Pro, Nordic PPK2, Joulescope.
  • I agree that the V3PWR only exposing SWD via the STDC14 connector is annoying. No adapter is provided, so now I have to dork around to find an adapter to use the V3PWR with designs that have 0.1" headers.
  • The V3PWR's STDC14 connector is on backward compared to V3SET and V3MINIE. My TagConnect cable comes off those the correct direction, toward the edge of the device. The same cable comes off the V3PWR away from the edge of the device. A minor annoyance, this should have been caught.
  • I would like 5V from the V3PWR. If it can't be variable that's fine, just provide the 5V from USB.