cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the output impedance of the STM32WB55?

0x34
Associate

I check the datasheet and it say that the output impedance os the STM32WB55 is 50 ohms , so i don't must need impedance matching but on the reference design have a pi-match circuit and a RF filter. Really the MCU have a 50 ohms impedance output or the pi-match is to adapt the impedance to the input of the RF filter?0693W0000058ub9QAA.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

The output impedance depends on the package;

WB5x :

for QFN48 package, the RF output impedance is 42 + j 19

for QFN88 package, the RF output impedance is 50 + j 19

for WLCSP100 package, the RF output impedance is 32 + j 10

for BGA129 package, the RF output impedance is 32 + j 8

WB1x :

for WLCSP49 package, the RF output impedance is 32 + j 10

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

​The STM32WB RF output impedance is not 50 ohms. This is why an IPD (integrated passive device) is added on the RF path to ensure the 50 ohms matching.

Ok, if the output impedance is not 50 Ohms what is the value? To make the impedance matching you need to know the impedance output of the MCU and the output necessary impedance, in this case 50 ohms.

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

The output impedance is adapted to 50 ohms thanks to the various IPDs proposed by ST depending on the STM32WB lines and packages. These IPDs have been developed to cope with this adaptation constraints and remove this burden for customers.

For example, the MLPF-WB55-01E3 IPD integrates an impedance matching network and harmonics filter. The matching impedance network has been tailored to maximize the RF performance of STM32WB (Integrated impedance matching to STM32WB55Cx/Rx, STM32WB50Cx, STM32WB35Cx and STM32WB30Cx). This device uses STMicroelectronics IPD technology on non-conductive glass substrate which optimizes RF performance.

You can find other IPDs for other packages and lines on the www.st.com web site => https://www.st.com/en/emi-filtering-and-signal-conditioning/rf-filters.html

NHand
Associate II

Do I still need the band pass filter after this IPD? Or is it sufficent to route a 50 ohm trace to the antenna? I guess a pcb antenna still needs a pi filter.

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

The low-pass filter is expected to be 50 ohm at its output but it​ not always the case for the antenna. So you should add another matching network in between the filter and the antenna.

alexRossRBR
Associate II

@Remi QUINTIN  It is nice to have the option of the MLPF-WB55-01E3 but what is the output impedance of the STM32WB55? 

Is there a document? 

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

The output impedance depends on the package;

WB5x :

for QFN88 package, the RF output impedance is 50 + j 19

for WLCSP100 package, the RF output impedance is 32 + j 10

for BGA129 package, the RF output impedance is 32 + j 8

WB1x :

for WLCSP49 package, the RF output impedance is 32 + j 10