cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming STM32WL5JC (WIO-5E mini LoRa board from SeeedStudio)

David_
Associate III

I would like to write C code for the above board.  From reading, I believe the steps are as follow.  Appreciate if you may help to see if any issue.   TIA

1. I have Nucleo F103RB (and also F401RE) to be used as ST LINK programmer

2. I did firmware upgrade to Nucleo F103 and it is now ST-LINK V2 FW : V2J42M27 Debug + VCP.  It will work right?  Although the Nucleo WL5JC board has ST Link V4.

3. I plug in the Nucleo F401 and hit the "update firmware" buttom. Current firmware is V2J43M28. It suggests to "update" to V2J42M27 Debug + mass storage + VCP.  Strange the suggest upgrade is one number *LOWER* ? 

The Nucleo F103 also suggests upgrade to one number LOWER and I did it.   I have not yet change the Nueclo F401.

3. From UM1724, user manual of Nueclo F103, Remove two jumpers on CN2 connector.  CN4 will become six-pin SWD to be connected to the STM32WL5JC target board.

4. Does pin 1 on Nueclo F103 and F401 outputs 3.3 volts to power the target STM32WL5JC?

5. My application is point-to-point LoRa (not LoraWAN) between two boards. One is on battery so power saving is important. It is simple, read sensor, send data, sleep 119 seconds. As processing is simple, how can I only enable one core?  Presumable also set to a slow clock.  The CM0Plus core lower is lower power consumption, right?

6. I read the HAL (or middle ware) has a simple scheduler allowing "send data", "sleep", wait for "tx done" interrupt wake up, sleep 119 seconds.  May I ask where is example code as I still yet to find it from massive reading :(  

Many thanks

David__2-1711854572531.png

David__0-1711854395335.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @David_ 

1) You can do that for sure

2) The ST-Link V2 should do the job. the Nucleo-WM55JC is using the ST-Link V3 just because is the last version available when releasing this product.

3) Correct.

4) Typically, pin 1 on the CN4 connector of NUCLEO boards provides 3.3V to power the target board. However, it's always good practice to verify this with a multimeter.

5+6) You can use the Cortex-M4 alone for developing your project. A lot of examples are available on Our CubeWL

Nb: For more details on this product, you can contact our third party (the owner of this module).

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @David_ 

1) You can do that for sure

2) The ST-Link V2 should do the job. the Nucleo-WM55JC is using the ST-Link V3 just because is the last version available when releasing this product.

3) Correct.

4) Typically, pin 1 on the CN4 connector of NUCLEO boards provides 3.3V to power the target board. However, it's always good practice to verify this with a multimeter.

5+6) You can use the Cortex-M4 alone for developing your project. A lot of examples are available on Our CubeWL

Nb: For more details on this product, you can contact our third party (the owner of this module).

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

For item 6, from reply from this forum mmber, the Sequencer has more description in WB (wireless bluetooth) document.