cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power consumption NUCLEO-WL55JC2

LearnCORE
Associate II

Hi, 

I am trying to measure the power consumption of my NUCLEO-WL55JC2.

In the user manual here Is what I found : 

Jumper JP1, labeled I_SoC, is used to measure the STM32WL microcontroller consumption by removing the

jumper and by connecting an ammeter. Their location in the power structure is shown in Figure 19.

1. JP1 ON. STM32WL is powered with 3V3 voltage (default)

2. JP4 OFF. An ammeter must be connected to measure the STM32WL current. If there is no ammeter, the STM32 is not powered.

Normally, only one jumper is used to connect the ammeter. However, when I try to put connect an ammeter in the JP1 or JP4 I don't see any current and can't run my code in the stm32cubeIDE.

Does anyone have an idea of where should I connect the ammeter and how to proceed?

Thanks for your time

6 REPLIES 6
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

How are you powering the board?

What "ammeter" are you using? where, exactly, are you inserting it, and with what links fitted?

Have you looked at the schematic of the Nucleo board? That will show you exactly where those jumpers appear in the power supply and, hence, exactly what those jumpers are doing.

AndrewNeil_0-1706004224533.png

To measure at JP4, you would need JP1 ON;
To measure at JP1, you would need something on JP4.

Are all the other links/solder-bridges in place?

Hello, as you can see in the picture this is how I’m trying to connect the Ammeter to

Updating Media

455EF5E6-C447-4EBE-ACE8-2538E1D562EC.jpeg

JP1. The JP4 is ON as well. 
What is bothering me is that I can’t run the code while connecting to the JP1. It says error during lunch. 

@LearnCORE wrote:

It says error during lunch. 

You mean "launch"?

What, exactly, says that? Is there any other information?

Sounds like what you'd expect if the target is not powered

Does it work if you just fit JP4 & JP1 - no meter?

BTW: although "ammeter" is a technically correct term as a device to measure current, a DMM isn't going to give you any practically useful results in this type of application - because the current consumption of these devices is very "peaky", and a DMM won't show that.
But, as a first step, you should be able to see something.

image.jpg

Yes, exactly it’s as if the target is not powered. 
It works fine if the jumpers are on. 
Thanks for your help. 

@LearnCORE wrote:

It works fine if the jumpers are on. 

So must be something wrong with your meter and/or the way you're connecting it.

Are you sure the meter is correctly set, and all the connections are good?

Have you checked that 3.3V is actually reaching the processor (with a 2nd meter, or scope)?

What happens if you put the meter on a higher range?

STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @LearnCORE 

To mesure the current consumption, you have to remove the JP1 and place an ampermeter on the two pins of this jumper. For the JP4, is just a confirmed typo that I've escalated for correction under ticket number 175252.

(PS: Internal ticket number 175252 is only for reference, not available outside of ST)

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.