cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nucleo-WBA52CG STM32CubeMX Suport

JShro
Associate III

Hi All, 

I am trying to get a custom BLE and MEMS project running on the Nucleo-WBA52CG board - however looks like the STM32_WPAN middleware does not work properly also in the latest WBA software pack the applications folder for the board does not have any BLE applications (older versionSTM32Cube_FW_WBA_V1.0.0 - had those)

I can build the older application and it works with the board - however since I need to add the MEMS libraries - regenerating with the new cube does not work.

Any ideas on how to get this working - Wish there was an easier path than this version nightmare

I am attaching the ioc file that I obtained from the 1.0.0 FW_WBA pack. I am using it with CubeMX 6.12.0 and FW_WBA version 1.4.1.

The project does compile however the BLE advertisement does not seem to be working and I am unable to see it in the STM Ble toolbox. I Compiled the porject using STM32 Cube IDE Version: 1.14.0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

For the Cube version, it is not going to be any rectification. The last version with support to the STM32WBA52 Nucleo board RF function is the V1.1.0. for the correction, is about the error reported here: https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-wireless/ble-wrap-files-missing-after-cube-generation/td-p/700832

Correction is coming on the next CubeMX release.

For me, I suggest you start your evaluation using the STM32WBA55 to guarantee good support for RF function.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @JShro 

I've personally been able to see the board advertising using the BLE_p2p Server application of the Nucleo-WBA52CG. I suggest you to:

1. Download as .zip the version 1.1.0 of the STM32CubeWBA and unzip it.
  2. Open the BLE_p2p Server project from the unzipped file (using CubeIDE for example and ensure that you have installed the last version of the STM32CubeWBA on CubeMX).
  3. Compile and run it and it will work fine (the board will advertise, and you can see it directly).

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Yes, simply compiling the project from the older version works fine on the board.

The issue is I want to be able to add additional capabilities using the Mems library, so I need to regenerate code using the STMCube32 MX and that is not working since cube MX wants to use the latest libraries and there appears to be some issue with the latest libs

JShro
Associate III

@STTwo-32  there is a similar issue mentioned on this thread

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-wireless/ble-wrap-files-missing-after-cube-generation/td-p/700832

1. If I regenerate the P2P example using cubeMX  6.12.0 - Which insists on using FW_WBA version 1.4.1 i have the identical issue as mentioned in the post - https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-wireless/ble-wrap-files-missing-after-cube-generation/td-p/700832
  2. However if I use the attached .ioc file and regenerate the project in the cubeMX  6.12.0 by clicking on Generate Code - the project does compile fine but will not work

Appreciate any help you can provide in trying to resolve this issue

JShro
Associate III

Just wanted to update this thread and also voice my disappointment with STM in general...

1. Looks like STM droppped the ball on this dev board. This link shows the board being actively supported by STM - https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/nucleo-wba52cg.html - here's the line that really gets me - Comprehensive free software libraries and examples available with the STM32CubeWB MCU Package

2. I posted a comment on github mentioning that all the examples for BLE were removed in the latest MX Cube package - and I got back the following comment from RJMSTM - we no longer support WBA52, all connectivity applications are now delivered with WBA55

3. If an active board is no longer supported  - it would be very helpful for STM to mark the board as not recommended for connectivity applications etc so people do not waste a ton of time trying to get this to work.

I was able to kind of make  the examples work by using an older version of CubeMX - 6.8.1 with the older library V 1.0.0 - but this took almost a week of trial and error. 

And eventually we decided to simply use a different vendor since they were way more responsive and were able to provide us with evaluation tools that did not waste our time.

Hello @JShro 

This is an issue already reported and will be solved on the next CubeMX release (impact all the STM32CubeWBA).

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

@STTwo-32 that is great news  - appreciate the update. Any idea when the next release would be coming out. We would definitely keep our options open - for now looks like the only option will be to get the wba55 board  so will pursue that option in parallel.

For the Cube version, it is not going to be any rectification. The last version with support to the STM32WBA52 Nucleo board RF function is the V1.1.0. for the correction, is about the error reported here: https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-wireless/ble-wrap-files-missing-after-cube-generation/td-p/700832

Correction is coming on the next CubeMX release.

For me, I suggest you start your evaluation using the STM32WBA55 to guarantee good support for RF function.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32