cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiry Regarding Antenna Options for STM32WB5MMG

KWOOJ
Associate III

Hello,

I'm in the process of developing a device using the STM32WB5MMG, and I have a query regarding the wireless testing method for the final product.

I need to conduct tests using an antenna (external antenna) approved by the certification body rather than utilizing the built-in antenna on the MCU.

Could you please confirm if there is an option similar to STM32WB1MMC where external/internal antenna selection is available, or if there is a method to use an external antenna?

I have attached the antenna options section from the datasheet of STM32WB1MMC for reference.

KWOOJ_0-1711342629324.png

KWOOJ_1-1711342654135.png

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @KWOOJ 

As indicated on the part 3.4 of the DS13252, There is no option to use an external antenna:

Screenshot_2024-03-25-07-08-39-83_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @KWOOJ 

As indicated on the part 3.4 of the DS13252, There is no option to use an external antenna:

Screenshot_2024-03-25-07-08-39-83_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

I checked what you said. Thank you for answer.

I have one more question, Is there any way to remove the internal antenna?

the internal antenna is integrated on the design. so, it is not possible to remove it.

Best regards.

STTwo-32

As explained earlier, it is understood that the module has a structure that makes it impossible to separate the internal antenna.

Although we obtained wireless certification for our modules, we were informed by the certification agency that additional wireless certification was required for the final product. Therefore, since there is no internal antenna function, wireless certification of the final product must be performed using an external antenna.

How should I debug the module in this situation?

Has there been a case for using the same module (STM32WB5MMG) without experiencing these authentication-related issues?

For such a purpose, I suggest you to create an OLS ticket for direct support or contact our local sales and marketing team for more details.

Best Regrads

STTwo-32

@KWOOJ wrote:

Although we obtained wireless certification for our modules, we were informed by the certification agency that additional wireless certification was required for the final product. Therefore, since there is no internal antenna function (sic?), wireless certification of the final product must be performed using an external antenna.

That doesn't make sense!

It's been established that there is an internal antenna - so, surely, certification can proceed using that antenna?

Many products achieve certification with only internal antennas.

@KWOOJ wrote:

I need (sic?) to conduct tests using an antenna (external antenna) approved by the certification body rather than utilizing the built-in antenna on the MCU.

Why do you think you "need" that? 

If the product has only an internal antenna - no facility for any external antenna - then it should be certified using that internal antenna.

I think something has got lost/misunderstood in translation here ...