cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GDB Server fails to start

MHast.1
Associate II

Hello, I have a problem running any project in STM32CubeIDE v1.7.0

When I press 'Run' I usually get "Launching: Performing pre-launch check..." and it just hangs there.

Sometimes it gets past that, and then I get the following error

Error in final launch sequence: Failed to execute MI command: target remote localhost:61234

Error message from debugger back end: localhost:61234: The system tried to join a drive to a directory on a joined drive.

at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.mi.service.command.AbstractMIControl$RxThread.processMIOutput(AbstractMIControl.java:1014) at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.mi.service.command.AbstractMIControl$RxThread.run(AbstractMIControl.java:843)

Console output:

STMicroelectronics ST-LINK GDB server. Version 5.9.1

Copyright (c) 2021, STMicroelectronics. All rights reserved.

Starting server with the following options:

Persistent Mode      : Disabled

Logging Level       : 1

Listen Port Number     : 61234

Status Refresh Delay    : 15s

Verbose Mode        : Disabled

SWD Debug         : Enabled

InitWhile         : Enabled

Waiting for debugger connection...

15 REPLIES 15

I had the same issue with CubeIDE v1.7.0 and this also worked for me. Thnaks

PHolt.1
Senior III

This is just a common issue which happens randomly. With a bit of luck, not often. I find it happens more often when running Cube over RDP (remote desktop). Often the solution is to unplug/replug the USB cable into STLINK, close Cube, and terminate the ST process in Windows Task Manager, which is a hassle because you can't unplug the USB cable remotely : - )

It seems to me that the solution in the video was to tweak the USB cable

JBern.7
Associate

Well ... It is 2022 now, perhaps I am late. But just in case someone has the same question and tried removing/changing the USB as suggested in the previous comment, it did not work. So, my board only started to behave in such a manner after I turned on the FreeRTOS and changed the Serial wire to the Trace function. So cut long story short. I used STM32CubeProgrammer and cleared the full chip and upgraded the firmware, after this everything works perfectly.

iforce2d
Associate III

Just find the gdb process that is using the port in question and kill it. Eg. in my case on Linux I do this:

killall ST-LINK_gdbserver

You can likely find the process by doing:

ps -aux | grep gdb

As to why this problem happens or how to prevent it in future, I have no clue.

This worked for me .
Thank you so much for the solution 🙂