cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BLE keep connection alive

roman_tl
Associate II

What is the proper way of keeping connection from Client to Server alive?

I'm working with smart glasses and after connection STM32 client sends the data, however, after some 10-20 seconds or so glasses show "Client disconnected" message.

What puzzles me is that I constantly send new messages every 2 seconds, so connection should be alive, but it's not.

The other strange thing is when I connect to laptop's Bluetooth, inside LightBlue logs I constantly see fresh messages every 2 seconds continuously as expected, for as long as client device is powered on.

Is there any check to periodically refresh connection state, or what's the right way?

Update: do I need to handle Server's notification in any way to keep connection alive?

2 REPLIES 2
roman_tl
Associate II

I found one part of the problem - in this method

result = aci_gap_create_connection(SCAN_P,
                                       SCAN_L,
                                       GAP_PUBLIC_ADDR,
                                       P2P_SERVER1_BDADDR,
                                       GAP_PUBLIC_ADDR,
                                       CONN_P1,
                                       CONN_P2,
                                       SUPERV_TIMEOUT,
                                       CONN_L1,
                                       CONN_L2);

I got much faster connects and response by setting

Connection Interval: 15ms - 30ms
Slave Latency: 0
Supervision Timeout: 4s

The values were taken from "Peripheral Preferred Connection Parameters" characteristic of Server device. You can find them either in documentation or from device itself by reading

Generic Access service - UUID 0x1800

Characteristics:

Peripheral Preferred Connection Parameters00002A04-0000-1000-8000-00805F9B34FB

The client still disconnects, and after timing this with stopwatch I see that Disconnect is happening around every 32 seconds - suspiciously close to maximum possible value of Supervision Timeout

Any ideas why that might happen? I'm pretty sure I'm passing 4s to aci_gap_create_connection and I see the same in p_connection_complete_event->Supervision_Timeout inside HCI_LE_CONNECTION_COMPLETE_SUBEVT_CODE

Hello @roman_tl 

Have you updated your FUS and wireless stack to the last version (available on the V1.20.0 of the SDK).

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.