cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Development Kit for Basic LoRa implementation

SWill.10
Associate II

Hi there!

I've used STM32's for years, and am a huge fan. I now want to broaden my experience into LoRa (I have experience with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and even ST's SPSGRF range).

I saw at the start of the year there was some news about ST's own chip which has LoRa integrated. I'm also familiar with Semtech's SX1276 which is the jellybean LoRa chip.

I want to get some dev kits from ST, several to simulate a "nodes" that will be reading sensors (e.g. temperature) and sending this data to a "base station" or "master", via LoRa. With the ability to scale (i.e. multiple nodes, not point to point comms). As a result, I came here asking guidance about which dev kit would be the best to buy - as there seems to be a lot available, and in particular I would love one that had an easy to use API/example/getting started guide.

There are a few available from ST:

If anyone could suggest which are the best to go for (for just a very basic proof of concept device, hoping to get range of 1-2km) that would be so greatly appreciated. My initial research tells me I should maybe get 2 x P-NUCLEO-LRWAN2 kits, as this comes with a node and a gateway (and I need multiple nodes to test, and at 915MHz). However, I want the nodes to have GPS, so I'm tempted to buy the STEVAL-STRKT01 but I'm worried this may not necessarily work with the gateway that comes with the LRWAN2 kit. At least not without lots of firmware development.

Any help/advice would be appreciated, thank you 🙂

0 REPLIES 0