cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TouchGFX designer and CubeIDE source files

dgold.1
Associate II

Hello,

I am using the TouchGFX designer to create project and source files , afterward import the project to CubeIDE.

I am using TouchGFX 4.23.2 and CubeIDE 14.1 .

I've seen many question regards this topic , but surprisingly none of the advices solves this very basic problem for me.

After creating the sources in TouchGFX, I am opening the CubeIDE workspace in the project root (not inside CubeIDE folder.

From that location I've tried the following:

1. File -> Open Project From File SYstem -> Directory:

Show two projects. One of the called as the TouchGFX project and the othe called CubeIDE.

None of them is exports nothing to the CubeIDE.

2. Import Project -> Existing Project Into Workspace:

Import a project that *always* called CubeIDE, although in .project file there is another name. 

In addition the .ioc file has another name.

Renaming the files currently did not succeed, therefor I failed to create 'operational' project.

Please guide how should the user create a simple project in the TouchGFX designer and then import it into the CubeIDE. 

Best regards,

Dotan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @dgold.1 ,

I understand the point you are making. This is because the demos and examples available on TouchGFX Designer are based on the simulator, so, they can be easily imported into other project.

If I've understood your situation correctly, you don't have a TouchGFX project generated by STM32CubeMX. Instead you have a GUI example instantiated from TouchGFX Designer, and you want to connect it to you STM32CubeIDE project. The easiest way to do this is to create an empty TouchGFX project as I mentioned in the previous response, and then go to Edit -> Import -> GUI 

Importing GUIImporting GUI

Here you can choose to import either an example, a demo, or even a GUI that you have created previously (by clicking on Browse).Then all the required files will be added to your project and they will be reflected in your STM32CubeIDE project as they should be.

If you do not want to use TouchGFX at all in your STM32CubeIDE project and just want to add the files inside your TouchGFX project to the STM32CubeIDE, then the process won't be straightforward. You will need to handle many things because the TouchGFX generator provides TouchGFX HAL to connect your hardware to your GUI, and without them, your application won't run correctly.

I hope this helps you 

Mohammad MORADI
ST Software Developer | TouchGFX

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Hello @dgold.1 ,

To use TouchGFX in your project, you first have to enable it from you STM32CubeMX project (or .ioc) file. For instance, I created a sample project to indicate the process. Initially, I have an STM32CubeIDE project looking like this:

STM32CubeIDE project without TouchGFXSTM32CubeIDE project without TouchGFX

Then, I go to the SimpleTest.ioc file and enable TouchGFX from Software Packs -> Select Components. Next, I generate code from STM32CubeMX with the Toolchain set to STM32CubeIDE and 'Generate Under Root' deselected

Afterwards, I navigate to the generated TouchGFX folder and run the project. I create my desired GUI and generate code from TouchGFX Designer. The structure of the resulting process will look like this:

TouchGFX project directoryTouchGFX project directory

Eventually, I remove the previous project from the STM32CubeIDE workspace and open the .cproject file inside the STM32CubeIDE directory. The result will as follows:

STM32CubeIDE project with TouchGFXSTM32CubeIDE project with TouchGFX

As you can see, generated, gui, and TouchGFX folders are added to the project. 

Are you following the same process and still failing to add the TouchGFX project, or are you using a completely different method?

Mohammad MORADI

Hey Mohammad,

Thank you for your reply.

Your method works great when creating project from CubeMX and work with it in TouchGFX and/or CubeIDE .

My goal was to instanciate an example from TouchGFX designer (most of the GUI examples exists only there) and import it as-is to the CubeIDE and/or CobeMX.

For that porpuse currenly I do not see a simple method (which do not need metadata renaming and files twicking).

Hope to see that there is a simple method for that.

Best regards,

Dotan

This is normal long era situation. Source is TouchGFX cant handle how IDE you as developer plan use and waste time with IAR KEIL prepared... Some examples have in folder structure working solutions some not.

When you see here CubeIDE folder and in .project file most simple is double click on it. Same way MDK... folder and project file etc.

And same situation is around ioc files in TouchGFX generated examples. Some work directly some not and exist projects without ioc...

Right way is learn from examples use any PSPAD for little changes and build button inside TouchGFX, or create custom own projects in MX as described up.

Hey MM,

We discessed about export/import between native STM suite TouchGFX to CubeIDE (and not Keil).

Those actions supposed to work as they part of the environment feature set (export from TouchGFX , import to CubeIDE ).

The imported project from TouchGFX to CubeIDE does work, but it is with wrong project name and wrong ioc name.

Hopefully someone will show us the right way to do it or update that it is a known issue.

Best Regards,

Dotan

Your next miss, TouchGFX is Middleware and read somethink about history, you get info, that was nothink with ST.

Plus in TouchGFX dont exist EXPORT.

MM,

AFAIK TouchGFX is middleware in CubeMX stack and TouchGFX designer is a stand alone application for creating GUI application and transform them to souce files.

TouchGFX designer has 'generate files' button which I reffered as export in this discussion.

The generated files can be imported to CubeIDE workspace as a project.

My friend, I ask those questions not to start contest about who knows better and who missed.

I just want to understand better and hopefully meet my goals.

If you dont have relevant answers please be kind to allow a decent descussion.

Thanks

And i only try explain better , why meet your goals is impossible.

FYI TouchGFX was created long time before stmIDE and ST buy it. From v 4.10.0 is only for STM...

Changelog | TouchGFX Documentation

And projects generated as you write is makefile project for direct build, not for any IDE.

Autors of examples maybe prepare subfolders for imports, but you test it and see . No more comments.

Hello @dgold.1 ,

I understand the point you are making. This is because the demos and examples available on TouchGFX Designer are based on the simulator, so, they can be easily imported into other project.

If I've understood your situation correctly, you don't have a TouchGFX project generated by STM32CubeMX. Instead you have a GUI example instantiated from TouchGFX Designer, and you want to connect it to you STM32CubeIDE project. The easiest way to do this is to create an empty TouchGFX project as I mentioned in the previous response, and then go to Edit -> Import -> GUI 

Importing GUIImporting GUI

Here you can choose to import either an example, a demo, or even a GUI that you have created previously (by clicking on Browse).Then all the required files will be added to your project and they will be reflected in your STM32CubeIDE project as they should be.

If you do not want to use TouchGFX at all in your STM32CubeIDE project and just want to add the files inside your TouchGFX project to the STM32CubeIDE, then the process won't be straightforward. You will need to handle many things because the TouchGFX generator provides TouchGFX HAL to connect your hardware to your GUI, and without them, your application won't run correctly.

I hope this helps you 

Mohammad MORADI

Hello @MM..1 ,

I appreciate your effort in trying to help, but it is extremely important to maintain respect.
All of us are here to learn more and help each other thrive and achieve our goals. So, there is no need for point out flaws like that. 

Anyway, I genuinely appreciate your help and contribution to this community. 

Let's keep TouchGFX forum on of the best forever ❤💪 

Mohammad MORADI