cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TouchGFX app store functionality

DOkaz.1
Associate II

Hi,

I'm looking at how compiling TouchGFX applications work, and it appears that you have to compile the TouchGFX project and then flash the board with the application.

https://support.touchgfx.com/4.19/docs/development/ui-development/working-with-touchgfx/compiling-and-flashing

I'm trying to figure out if its possible to hot-load applications onto a device like an app store, and install new widgets without having to re-flash the entire image.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Yoann KLEIN
ST Employee

Hello @DOkaz.1​ ,

Unfortunately that is not possible, you will have to compile and flash every time you modify your code and/or add new things on the interface.

Just by curiosity, what is your user case ? You just want to save some time or something else ?

/Yoann

Yoann KLEIN
ST Software Developer | TouchGFX

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Yoann KLEIN
ST Employee

Hello @DOkaz.1​ ,

Unfortunately that is not possible, you will have to compile and flash every time you modify your code and/or add new things on the interface.

Just by curiosity, what is your user case ? You just want to save some time or something else ?

/Yoann

Yoann KLEIN
ST Software Developer | TouchGFX

Ah ok, thanks @Yoann KLEIN​ !

My use case for the display is a basic smart watch, so I was thinking that I could have an app store for users/devs to create their own widgets and pick and choose what they want to install.

Since its not possible to hot-load applications, maybe one way to get around that is to create some infrastructure that lets me pick and choose the widgets to add to the device and then installing new widgets would require a full flash of the device.

In order to get around the problem of user data being erased every time the device is flashed, I can have a separate flash chip that doesn't get erased during this process and then read/write data from there.

For uninstalling applications, maybe I can either have something built in that modifies the interface and deletes the widget, or I can just modify the interface but keep the application in the image, just inaccessible, and when the user flashes a new image, that widget would get deleted then.