cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storing image data to 8-bit data width SDRAM using DCMI peripheral on STM32F446ZCH6

DCosm.1
Associate

I am currently working on an application involving streaming 480p/720p video from an OV5640 camera to an SD card (using SDIO) but I am afraid that the 128Kb of available SRAM are not enough.

Given the situation, in order to increase the available RAM I am trying to interface​ an IS42S16800F-7BLI SDRAM chip with an STM32F446ZCH6 microcontroller on a dedicated PCB but I stumbled across the following problem:

​-Due to the amount of pins used, the STM32 can only communicate with the SDRAM using 8 bits of data

​-I am confused regarding where to connect the DQM pin of the SDRAM when working with 8-bit data width. From what I have read online, it has to be either tied to GND or to the FMC_NBL0 pin but according to STM32CubeIDE, the latter pin is currently used as DCMI_D2 for the DVP camera.

Can someone clarify the process of properly interfacing the DQM pin in the 8 bits mode, or if the external SDRAM is even needed for this task in the first place?

1 REPLY 1
KDJEM.1
ST Employee

Hi @DCosm.1​ and welcome to the Community :),

As IS42S16800F-7BLI and IS42S16800F-6BLI share the same datasheet, I assume that the article “How to set up the FMC peripheral to interface with the SDRAM IS42S16800F-6BLI from ISSI�? will be helpful for you to configure the SDRAM properly.

Kaouthar

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.