cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running 10.1" LVDS display on (STM32747I-Disco) discovery board

Clem1
Associate III

I wonder if there are any discovery or evaluation boards that directly support connection to a 10.1" screen, and please do respond with something other than Riverdi. It would be nice if one could develop its own hardware without being overly dependent on third parties such as Riverdi. Has anyone managed to use the STM32747I-DISCO board (or any other board for that matter) with a bare 10.1" screen that has a 40-pin LVDS connector? So far I have only seen examples using the DISCO board with smaller screens. The 60-pin connector on the DISC board seems to carry a number of differential clock and data signals, so this looks like LVDS. Is it just a question of making a mechanical adapter from one connector to another? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ZExpo.1
Senior

Hey,

You can use RGB to LVDS bridge IC from TI DS90C385AScreenshot (40).png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ZExpo.1
Senior

Hey,

You can use RGB to LVDS bridge IC from TI DS90C385AScreenshot (40).png

Clem1
Associate III

Thank you. It is disappointing the LVDS output was not implemented in the STM32 to begin with, as it seems to have become a de facto standard for bare displays. Having said that I have talked to a local screen manufacturer and it seems that the 2-lane MIPI/DSI bus could be configured to drive a 10.1" screen, but at a lower refresh rate and/or resolution. I may post some follow-up videos in the case that I am able to attach the screen directly to the discovery board. The layout for the DS90C385A interface will have to wait for a while.

Thank you very much for the solution. I have looked into the DS90C385A datasheet and the assignement of RGB lines to the pins seems quite disorderly and chaotic (but most likely on purpose?). It seems that you have the same assignment in your schematic. Is this assignment compatible with most screeen manufacturers or is that assignment vendor specific?

Clem1_0-1698314712040.png

Yes,LVDS Should have been implemented in the high-end STM32H7  models it would have been quite productive.You can directly connect the LCD with the DK I always use this method while confirming my schematics and development phase.

Generally we see a lot of Manufacturers using these connections that uses FPC as general setup but you have to check with the datasheet for pin outs which sometime are manufacturer specific.

Clem1
Associate III

I just wanted to let you know that I have decided to leave my hands of the STM32 for good. I have learned a lot when it comes to low level hardware display interface design but I am just sick to teeth to deal with such a crapy MCU, such as the STM32H7. I do not care whether the MCU is supplied by the LDO or the SPMS, it should be smart enough to just boot - period. I cannot tell you how many hardware platforms (including Riverdi) I have wasted due to non-recoverable MCUs, absolutely appaling! And no, the BOOT0/1 trick for loading the integrated boot loader will NOT always work. It is very easy to brick the STM32H7 and you won't convince me otherwise.

I just cannot afford to waste more time and I am happy to get back to ATMEL/PIC, even if it means to design the GUI like for an old console in assembly lanuage...At least the hardware works.

So thanks for your help -I honestly appreciate the help that I was given- but I will turn my back to ST for good!