cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to implement following dynamic images on lcd using touchgfx?

Tiel
Associate II

I wonder if we can make the attached graphics using touchgfx library. 

3 REPLIES 3
Romain DIELEMAN
ST Employee

Hi,

Yes you can. Now the question would be more will the GUI look nice/run smoothly ? Well for that you need to give us a bit more context on your setup 😅: what mcu, external flash/ram or not, type of display + resolution, is the map preloaded, etc...

/Romain

Tiel
Associate II

Dear Mr.Romain Dieleman,

Thanks for your answer and I'm sorry for late reply.

Let me explain more about my target system to consider to use touchgfx to express dynamic graphics within general information range.

There are many features on the target-system,

but in summary, keypoint behavior can be summarized as below:

1. Various dynamic image outputs (refresh rate of at least 5 Hz)

2. 2d/3d map data should be able to be output on the screen dynamically and smoothly.

General dynamic graphic types are as below

(I'm not sure that stm32 can do these all with touchgfx):

1. General alarming actions (I'm not sure, but I think these images can be implemented using touchgfx)

2. Standby screen operation( using various custom gauge and progess bars)

3. Dynamic screen guide using map screen

drawing 2d map image is created using vector-map library and can be rotated in any angle by current car direction.

Note : above map-view was implemented using sdl2 on the embedded linux os, but I want to change it due to cost-reduction and consideration for "ease of development" and "ease of debugging".

FYI, find the attached doc file includes graphic examples. I hope these images can help you understand what I meant.

<Expected System Briefs>

MCU : stm32H??? ( I do not want to use AP using DDR.)

LCD: (320x240 or 480x800) ,16 bit (565) expected. I expect to use spi-i/f.

qspi-spi-memory: I'm thinking of s/f in the cheapest form and connecting to qspi.(32MB or more)

Thanks for your advice.

Tommy Lim

Hi,

The fact that you use a low resolution is good as I was fearing that your UI would require to update most of the screen at all time, and I believe it still does but at least not on a huge buffer. You usually aim to have 60fps (or 30fps if 60 is not needed) with TouchGFX.

I still think your project is feasible, will be complex and long to implement but feasible, even with the amount of "complex" animations (dont use a low cost STM32G0 for this 😁) but to achieve best performances you will have to optimize your UI to update small sections at a time of the screen, and not the full screen or huge blocks while doing other complex animations on the side.

I'll let other users who have more experience on complex real life projects comment. I am just basing this on demos I have made. Still believe this will take time to implement and will require time for optimization as well to improve the UI to its best for smooth animations.

/Romain