cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am unable to make any progress building and running "Hello World" project as part of the X-Cube-Display software pack. I am using the X-Nucleo-GFX01M2 board and a Nucleo-F466RE dev board. I'm obviously doing something wrong and need newbie help.

King of Versailles
Associate

I have some experience with Arduino and RPI, but completely new to ST and the eclipse IDE so please bear with me as I'm trying to learn as I go, but nothing seems straight forward in ST land, not even hello world.

I'm using STM32CUBEIDE and have configured the pins as per UM2750, shown in the image below, all seemed good. I incorporated the X-Cube-Display software pack and configured that also, following UM2787. I built the project with no errors and no warnings, this is a good sign, I know at least this much. I run the software in the IDE and I can see that ST-link is working as the LED flashes showing that the software is being downloaded to the F446.

But then nothing, the LCD back light comes on, but nothing is displayed. I was kind of expecting "Hello World" to be displayed as a minimum. (Unless it's buried in the bowels of the tangled web of ST documentation-land, I can find no description of what "Hello World" in this software pack is meant to do, if anything) 

In the second image I can see some red crosses in the project explorer, but can't find any clue as to what they mean or how to resolve them.

Any help you can give to this lost explorer would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to just get this example up and running so that I can pick it apart and start learning. Again I'm a newbie to the ST world, so words of one syllable are more helpful than you realise. ;-)

0693W00000Ns1UWQAZ.png0693W00000Ns1UqQAJ.png

3 REPLIES 3
MM..1
Chief II

For beginner is better DISCOVERY with LCDs, use GFX modules is little more complicated.

Try understand your code from main step by step.

Learn debug code.

Nucleo STLINK is perfect for this.

King of Versailles
Associate

Thanks for your reply.

All I'm trying to do is compile and run the example software supplied by ST on a different Nucleo board.

ST says the software is easily ported across all its range of microcontrollers and is definitely compatible with my STM-F446. ST don't say in their documentation "NOT FOR BEGINNERS"

I don't see how buying different hardware solves my current problem when all I'm trying to do is run an example provided by ST?

Osman SOYKURT
ST Employee

Hello King of Versailles,

I have no no knowledge about X-Cube-Display, I can't help you much on this sorry.

But If you think about working with TouchGFX Designer, we provide TBSs (TouchGFX Board Setup : preconfigured board with components) that have this X-Cube-Display integrated. So you might want to use them as inspiration. You could be interested in STM32G0RB NUCLEO AZ1 and AZ2 for example.

0693W00000NsgvnQAB.png 

/Osman

Osman SOYKURT
ST Software Developer | TouchGFX