cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to use IAR workbench external loader nor flash project in our own project

jr_engr_mbed
Senior

Hi team,

I am using the STM32H753BIT6 MCU and a 1Gbit parallel NOR flash (MT28EW01GABA), which is an alternative to the 128Mbit default flash on the evaluation board. Unfortunately, I did not use QSPI in the hardware design.

Can anyone explain how to use the IAR project on our custom hardware, which includes a TouchGFX GUI project? I am able to enable TouchGFX using the internal flash, but I need guidance on enabling the external NOR flash for at least 16MB of storage.

I followed this link:How to implement and use your own external flash l... - STMicroelectronics Community

and tried using the 128Mbit parallel flash example program from GitHub. However, from respository GPIO example HEX file is used in cube programmer,it shows the same addresses, 0x08000000 and 0x60000000. I'm unsure if this external loader will work for my NOR flash for testing, given that it should store up to 16MB. or if i need to follow the steps in guide, i didn't find .c and .h file for my flash in any where.?

Please guide me and provide advice on the next steps to enable external NOR flash storage on my custom hardware.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Jr. Embedded Engineer

Screenshot (14).png

  

Screenshot (13).png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

One of your related threads

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubeprogrammer-mcus/own-external-loader-custom-board-with-1gb-nor-flash-which-is-not/m-p/707903

I recall another mentioning "E WARM" or "EW ARM" but can't find it at this second.

Also some of the newer Keil MDK-ARM packs for STM32's have source for the Keil .FLM, a progenitor for the .STLDR

If this NOR is on some other STM32 platform you should be able to fork/port

You'll need to use the memory address of the specific platform you're using. The FMC is typically in the 0x60000000 space, broken into four 64MB windows, from the 256MB whole (ie 0x10000000) carved in the Cortex's address space.

The loader will need to deal with the clocking and pins that you have used.

You'd want to start development of the BSP in application space where you can readily test and debug it, and then migrate it into the external loader framework. Get the Reading, Erasing and Writing working from a place where you can debug it.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

One of your related threads

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubeprogrammer-mcus/own-external-loader-custom-board-with-1gb-nor-flash-which-is-not/m-p/707903

I recall another mentioning "E WARM" or "EW ARM" but can't find it at this second.

Also some of the newer Keil MDK-ARM packs for STM32's have source for the Keil .FLM, a progenitor for the .STLDR

If this NOR is on some other STM32 platform you should be able to fork/port

You'll need to use the memory address of the specific platform you're using. The FMC is typically in the 0x60000000 space, broken into four 64MB windows, from the 256MB whole (ie 0x10000000) carved in the Cortex's address space.

The loader will need to deal with the clocking and pins that you have used.

You'd want to start development of the BSP in application space where you can readily test and debug it, and then migrate it into the external loader framework. Get the Reading, Erasing and Writing working from a place where you can debug it.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Hello @jr_engr_mbed,

Please take a look at this thread which is about creating a custom external flash loader.
I think it would be easier for you if you create a custom flash loader that works with STM32CubeProgrammer, and then compile your project in IAR, and flash the resulting .hex file with STM32CubeProgrammer.

I hope this helps you!

Mohammad MORADI
ST Software Developer | TouchGFX

hi, thank you for your suggestion.

>>You'd want to start development of the BSP in application space where you can readily test and debug it, and then migrate it into the external loader framework.
Regarding the external NOR flash, as you indicated, the BSP is required for my flash with the STM32H753. Can I use the BSP file from the H743I-EVAL as a reference? If so, where should my starting point of importing the BSP file or make changes for the read, write, and erase functions?

is it possible for doing as for making bsp from its nearest support board.,?

thankyou.

regards.

jr_engr_mbed