Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to replace icon on STM32 Demonstartion Builder

eduardo2
Associate II
Posted on August 12, 2014 at 22:30

Hi:

I am using STM3221G-EVAL board, with the demosntration builder firmware.

There are multiple icons on the initial screen, and I would like to replace one of those, with one of my own icons. I have tried emWin BmpCvt and LCD Image Converter to get the C code corresponding to the image, without success.

My initial image is a bmp 360x369 pixels, that I have reduced to several sizes but nothing seems to work. The icon is showing at the screen but just streaks.

What is the procedure I have to follow to do this?

Thanks,

#an3128 #emwin #icon #bmpcvt #lcd-image #rgb565 #rgb565 #image-converter
14 REPLIES 14
Posted on August 14, 2014 at 21:46

Would be helpful if they would document this!

Well I'm sure they just did what was quick and convenient, supporting all possible BMP formats with all manner of color depths, and palettes, would be a huge PITA

At some level people are expected to have some conceptual understanding about what they are working with, and how to identify the formats being used. This isn't some complex bit interleaving scheme like on the BBC Micro.

This [DEAD LINK /public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/cortex_mx_stm32/Flat.aspx?RootFolder=/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/cortex_mx_stm32/Decoding%20bmp&FolderCTID=0x01200200770978C69A1141439FE559EB459D7580009C4E14902C3CDE46A77F0FFD06506F5B&currentviews=520]long and painful thread deals with some alternate BMP formats, and converting into a reduced colour space. It's not that hard to navigate the raster data, but this is clearly more relevant to reading files off some media, rather than in-lining image data into C source code, where the most optimal representation is desirable.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III
Posted on August 14, 2014 at 22:01

''Some of the example in ST's code actually have a ''BM''  0x42,0x4D header, whilst others don't''

Yes - the above-mentioned Image Converter from the ST Resource Editor has the option for with/without header.

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III
Posted on August 14, 2014 at 22:06

''Well I'm sure they just did what was quick and convenient''

Indeed.

''At some level people are expected to have some conceptual understanding about what they are working with, and how to identify the formats being used''

I'm talking about the 'C' arrays provided as source in the demo application.

It doesn't take much to describe what they've implemented, and say ''Utilty xyz can be used to convert from whatever image file types''
Posted on August 14, 2014 at 22:33

It doesn't take much to describe what they've implemented, and say ''Utility xyz can be used to convert from whatever image file types''

Or, for that matter, have the tool fingerprint the comments saying what source file was used, and the command with command line options.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III
Posted on August 14, 2014 at 23:08

''have the tool fingerprint the comments saying what source file was used, and the command with command line options''

Indeed!