cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Font outlines or shadows possible?

JLubb.1
Associate III

Hi all,

I'm evaluating TouchGFX for my company and I cannot find a way to add an outline to texts or to add a Shadow to any object in TouchGFX Designer. Is this intended, or am I missing something?

Thanks and Regards

2 REPLIES 2
Romain DIELEMAN
ST Employee

Hi,

Yes this is intended. But you can do those things by playing around with the other widgets. For the outline I guess you could try to add the same text, slightly bigger and with a different color, under the text you want to outline. For shadows either you add a black box or an image of the item and play around its alpha. If it has to have a certain angle you can use the texture mapper widget to change its x/y/z angles.

/Romain

JLubb.1
Associate III

Okay, thanks for this information!

I have also already thought about alternative methods, but since they are both computationally expensive and visually unpleasing, they aren't real options.

The last thing I could think of was the following: As far as I understand, text gets rendered into pixel-based bitmaps during compile time, and the target device then "simply" copies the bitmaps to the screen whenever text is needed. If that is the case, could these bitmaps be somehow edited or replaced? Then it may be possible to add the outline manually as long as it stays within the bounding box. Of course this would be quite complicated to do manually, so it would only be worth it for a very small number of characters. But still, as a proof-of-concept it would be interesting I think.

Do You happen to know if something like that is possible?