cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could you please confirm if STM32H7A3RG supports RGB666, RGB888 to interface with 10inch TFT LCD display.

RSHAR.2
Associate II

Hi,

I am Reshma, based on my design requirements, my team has chosen STM32H7A3RG MCU . We want to confirm if this MCU will support, RGB565,RGB666, RGB888 display formats. Please find the attached high level block diagram for our requirement.

Please feel free to contact for further queries and understanding of our requirements.

Thanks & Regards,

Reshma Sharma,

HCL Technologies.

4 REPLIES 4
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @RSHAR.2​ and welcome to the STM32 Community 🙂

I advise you to refer to the RM0455 which provides information on the features of the STM32H7A3 peripherals.

0693W00000APkIQQA1.jpgThe application note AN4861 would be a very good guide for you to properly consider the best configuration and it's applicable for STM32H7A3 products.

Hope my answer helped you!

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

RGB666 would be achieved via a simple truncation of the pins used for RGB888, and a suitable mapping into the 24-bit colour space of the video data.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
franck23
Senior

The graphic performance will depend on the number of pixels of your LCD, your SDRAM data bus width, and if you have an external flash that shares the MCU internal bus with the SDRAM.

For reference, I have the following config:

• STM32H743 clocked at 480MHz
  • 1024x600 LCD in RGB565 mode
  • SDRAM with 32bit data bus
  • QSPI external flash

To get smooth transitions on the display, I had to overclock the SDRAM to 120MHz (STM32H7 SDRAM should be clocked at 100MHz max).

And I still have to take care of not updating too many images at once.

If you don't have an external QSPI, you may manage a screen with more pixels, but usually, if you have a lot of pixels, you need extra memory.

So I would say that without adding an external LCD controller, 1024x600px in RGB565 mode is the best you can do.

Hi Franck , @Community member​ 

It's a very clear answer. Even I am trying to use STM32H743 to run 1024x768 LCD with exactly the same configuration, but I see some performance hit while running at the recommended frequency(65 MHz). So I reduce the pixel clock (indirectly refresh rate also), and I can run 1024x768 without any noise.

Now my main problem is the refresh rate. If I increase it, I get a hit. In your answer, you'd mentioned about external LCD controller. Could you please shed more light on the same? Can I integrate it on top of STM32H743? Share your recommendations. Thanks and appreciate your response.