cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32WB5x IEEE 802.15.4 Stack

MYous.3
Associate II

Hey,

I'm Working with STM32WB5x on a bare metal MAC 802.15.4 Application.

I Have the BLE_MAC_***_FW latest (version 1.13.0) installed on CM0+ .

I want to add security for MAC Frames with support for both ENC-MIC.

The current ST WPAN MAC 802.15.4 implementation dose not provide any functions/ data types (structures) related to security.

Also I cannot set any security related PIB Attributes and i end up with a Set Confirmation return status of 0xF4 (indicating that "A SET/GET request was issued with the identifier of a PIB attribute that is not supported" ... NORDIC).

So logically, One can assume that these PIBs were not considered/developed on the CM0+ FW.

Why does the ST WPAN Middleware lack Security Structures dentition ?

Why the MAC_802_15_4_FW firmware for CM0+ does not handle Security, although as my understanding, ZigBee supports security & keys setup ?

When will the ST team provide the missing functionality for the IEEE 802.15.4 standard ?

1 REPLY 1
Remy ISSALYS
ST Employee

Hello,

The MAC security structures are defined in order to be IEEE 802.15.4 standard compliant and potentially be backward compatible with potential future update that may implements security @ MAC level. Our current solution doesn’t provide such security facilities at MAC level and we currently do not plan to provide such a feature. Customer may secure is proprietary solution by encrypting the MAC payload as ZB does.

Note that ZB support security but at upper level and doesn’t need security at MAC Level ( fcf secure flag must be set to 0).

Best Regards