Did you mean: 

WTF go back to old community

MM..1
Chief II

This new disaster put to trash, an drevert back old version

0693W00000GZtdCQAT.png

64 REPLIES 64

@TDK​ "I mean that, without scrolling, you can only see 8 topics per page"

Which is made all the worse by all the people putting the entire question in the title - as seen in the 2nd item in your screenshot.

:pouting_face:

Yup. The MSP430 forum requires that you add a part number to your post and also limits topics to a resonance length. Both changes that should be adopted by ST.
If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

> Probably not for USB

This is a common misconception.

In my "dozens of appnotes per module" model, I can envisage a couple of appnotes for USB in both its incarnations seen in STM32s, just to achieve enumeration, that's all register-level. And more dozens for the "auxilliary" features of USB such as sleeps, OTG-related, supply related...

> But apart from that, I think HAL is a large improvement over SPL.

In this, we will disagree. SPL was a honest mistake, HAL is a direct disaster. IMO this is consequence of poor microcontroller-oriented education in the schools, leading to (already second generation) of young people with only general programming education enter the field entirely unprepared (yes, I am electrical engineer).

> debugging features, fault analyzer, memory usage tools, peripheral register viewing

... and user locking to proprietary tools.

> I like CubeMX for the pin layout and clock visualization, but not as much for the code generation.

That's the MX (MicroXplorer, CubeMX's predecessor) for you. Mind, this is all what 10 years of development of that product brought. Let me remind you that it's we who pay for all this.

JW

Thanks for your comments, Jan.
If you have a freely available register level USB implementation, I would love to see it. I’d very much like to get away from the HAL/ST USB library mess but can’t devote the time to understanding/implementing it at the register level from scratch.
I agree there is a huge gap in how CS folks and electrical engineers look at a problem. And HAL is certainly catering towards the CS crowd. It’s very apparent on questions where people ask why UART or SPI doesn’t work with no understanding or interest in understanding what needs to happen at the signal level. For MCU development, one really does need some competence on the EE side to be productive.
(Just as a side note, my degree is not in CS or EE, and I feel like I’m pretty evenly split between those camps.)
If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Hi @Camilo LEMOS​ ,

> I disagree that the onboarding flow is social functionality. It serves to decrease navigation pains for new members,

OK I take that back then. I did not enter that and had impression that it was a way to fill in profile.

However, I am not a new member, so why does it pester me? No, I don't need answer to this.

> help them get acquainted with the different areas of the community, teach them how to follow their topics of interest, etc.

> One of the strongest points of feedback we've historically heard from our new members on this platform is that navigation is difficult - this is one of the steps towards improving that (while being aware that the navigation itself needs to be improved).

OK, but given after the update the number of misplaced posts in "About" increased, this whole thing probably does not work as intended...?

Btw. the fact that "navigation is difficult" is mainly given by the messy design with various "cathegories" which started in Jive and was for some unexplicable reason brought here too, expanded by salesforce's inherent internal mess. Instead of clear tree or just a plain list of subfora.

JW

> limits topics to a resonance length

While I know there's no standard, I'd suggest to stick to old-fashioned Subject. It's IMO somewhat less ambiguous.

JW

That's PHPBB (as was the old avrfreaks, I linked above through archive.org). While simplemachines is said to be a clean design, it very obviously followed PHPBB's patterns.

JW

I've just noticed another regression:0693W00000Hp5gMQAR.pngWhen starting a new THREAD (and not calling it a "thread" is just another indication of the gross incompetence of the salesforce folks), having the editor pane for BODY (i.e. not details) of the post hidden/folded just encourages users to generate long SUBJECTs (i.e. not question) without any body.

Something we are complaining about, ever since we've been blessed by salesforce, ST not even was unable to get fixed, but managed to get it worse.

Yeah.

@Camilo LEMOS​ 

JW

Yes, that dialogue really does send entirely the wrong message - it literally prompts people to put the entire question into the title!

:pouting_face: