cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the cause of STM32 shortage? When will STM32 processors be available as normal? The pricing and delivery times are ridiclous now.

rickard2
Associate III

31 REPLIES 31

A combination of supply-and-demand, and built-to-order, along with some supply chain issues for raw materials, workforce and capacity, compounded with a global pandemic. I'd imagine there's plenty of coverage/analysis of this in the Business Press, ie WSJ, Forbes, Barrons, etc. A lot of the industry leaders are talking another 18-24 months of this.

At capacity one might expect 12-week lead times, given the current lead times a lot of people already have tickets against future production.

People with parts to sell today are brokers or arbitrage players, and they get to determine their price.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
rickard2
Associate III

Thanks for reply. However it does not explain why ST is much worst affected than other processor suppliers.

The processor I need are estimated in february 2022 which is abnormal long lead time, way longer than 12 weeks

TDK
Guru

> However it does not explain why ST is much worst affected than other processor suppliers.

More popular chips are affected the most. The STM32 series is incredibly popular.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/stmicros-average-chip-prices-up-5-so-far-this-year-ceo-says-2021-07-29/?utm_source=reddit.com

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

>>ST is much worst affected than other processor suppliers..

Well the STM32 range is very popular, and ST has an overly broad set of offerings within that range, and guarantees that they'll build/supply all of them for periods of 10 years or more. When capacity is constraining, you really need to be more flexible and nibble, with a smaller subset of parts.

>>..way longer than 12 weeks

Yes, because people who noticed this constriction got all their orders in already, and perhaps doubled down to a) ensure they got parts, and can b) resell any excess at a significant profit.

12 weeks is an at-capacity number, we are significantly beyond that, and there's definitely no slack capacity to build speculative stock for retail.

rickard2
Associate III

Uhuh 2023 is long time.....

Well this issue clearly shows that ST 10 year guarantee isn't worth much...

Rchri.1
Associate II

>> Well this issue clearly shows that ST 10 year guarantee isn't worth much...

Nope, just understand it for what it is:

ST guarantees you that you get the parts in 10 Years. If you order now 🙂

I understand the humour, but don't expect it to be anywhere near that long.

If there's profit to be made fab's are going to be spun up, capacity shifted or built new to fill demands, provided there isn't some global economic collapse or WW3

I've long complained of the stupidity of hog-tying one's self with these types of commitments, which honestly don't even look contractual.

Most of the products these parts go into have 18-24 month life cycles, and then the newer item is ready to sell the consumers.

Some industries still need a 10+ year horizon, buy THEY need to own that cost, and keep the inventory themselves, or have some contractual agreement about specific parts that can be die-banked or whatever. The "retail" distributors are not in the Indiana Jones Warehouse business any more, and few are still using parts from the 1970's

0693W00000FAZ64QAH.jpg

Rchri.1
Associate II

It may have been humour.

But.

Sometimes reality just follows fiction.

Farnell has some common STM32 with crazy delivery dates.

"Order Today, get them in 5 Years.":fearful_face:

Soon we'll 10 years mark ?

0693W00000FB4J9QAL.png