cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does it mean for a ''REJECTED'' technical support ticket?

charlesmao
Associate II
Posted on December 05, 2013 at 02:53

I initiated a technical support ticket regarding STM32 CAN bootloader issue and got an answer saying ''I'm unaware of any errata related to the CAN bootloader.'' then ticket status is set to REJECTED. I am confused by the update of the status. Anyone knows what it really means?

My tickets:

Request ID Creation Date Status

R13480085

12/2/2013 12:00:00 AM REJECTED
8 REPLIES 8
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III
Posted on December 05, 2013 at 08:16

''got an answer saying 'I'm unaware of any errata related to the CAN bootloader'''

If that was the answer then, presumably, you suggested that there

were

errata related to the CAN bootloader - and support have

REJECTED

that suggestion?

Don't you get a chance to query the state of the ticket?

Have you asked ST - via your FAE or Distributor?

charlesmao
Associate II
Posted on December 05, 2013 at 13:36

Yes, I suggested a bug in the CAN bootloader and asked for a work-around. The state of the ticket is ''REJECTED''. If your interpretation about ''REJECTED'' status is right, it means ST won't take customers' bug suggestion serious and solely rely on the bugs found by themselves. What a stupid idea! Basically I don't care about any bug existing in ST's products as long as it doesn't stop my work. Unfortunately, the bug (please see my other post titled ''CAN bootloader's Write Unprotect command doesn't work'') affects my work and I need a work-around.

I haven't contacted any ST distributors. Probably I should do it now and have them push ST around.
Posted on December 05, 2013 at 15:44

SizeOfCustomer * ComprehensivenessOfReport = Response

Charles: You have a bug in you system loader CAN implementation!!

ST: Awesome, we don't think we do, your report while interesting is not compelling, please check your configuration, and provide better evidence and supporting test cases.

In order for your report to be compelling to front line support staff who hear day in and out ''there's a bug in xyz'' you need a lot of detail, a scenario they can easily replicate, evidence in the way of screen-shot and logs, parts/versions involved, and some cross-checks to show you've looked at the problem from several different angles each confirming the problem. This may also include code examples, diagrams, system configurations, and test equipment set up.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
charlesmao
Associate II
Posted on December 05, 2013 at 16:24

First of all, if my post offended anybody, I apologize. I am just a little bit of pissed off by the issue causing the delay on my schedule. 

I realized probably I didn't give enough info so my first ticket got rejected. Therefore I initiated another ticket with much more information, hope they can take serious this time. It seems not easy to retrieve the ticket content in text format, so I captured the screen shot and posted below. If anybody read this post and has the hardware and software to repeat my exercise described below, please report your results. Your effort will be highly appreciated.

0690X00000602cWQAQ.jpg

frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on December 05, 2013 at 16:39

First of all, if my post offended anybody, ...

I think not.

The responses only describe actual experiences of other people in similiar situations.

And, what you IMHO need to take into account: the SizeOfCustomer item, as clive named it, need to be a compelling reason for the vendor (ST) to even spend time looking at the issue ...

Posted on December 05, 2013 at 17:43

I'm not offended, I'm just trying to be pragmatic and provide perspective.

I don't work for ST, but I've done my share of product and chip validation. The quickest route to resolution is to confine the problem, and demonstrate it in a complete and undeniable fashion. Having others confirm your observations is not nearly as useful as being able to provide multiple sources of evidence yourself.

The options viewed via the ST-LINK, and serial connected system loader, would provide additional confirmation. As would data output from your code running on the device.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
charlesmao
Associate II
Posted on December 05, 2013 at 18:08

I am new to this community and I found it's very active and responsive. Thank you all for your great efforts, especially Clive's quick replies.

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III
Posted on December 05, 2013 at 18:28

''If your interpretation about ''REJECTED'' status is right, it means ST won't take customers' bug suggestion serious''

Not at all. It just means that they didn't accept that you demonstrated any bug.

Hopefully your additional info will help to convince them...