cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

__WFI not enter stop mode when debugging

ARa.2
Associate II

Hi. When debugging stm32l476rgt6 on NUCLEO-64 __WFI instruction has no effect.

My question is simple: is it possible to enter stop mode while debugging? I know that it is possible to stop dbg clock during clear DBG_STOP bit. But after awake debugger detach from MCU. So, how can I enter stop mode while debugging? Maybe there is some specific configuration of clock?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You're really asking a lot.

You can't expect things to power off and stop and still be able to communicate with the device, or other synchronous logic for that matter.

There are DBGMCU settings to change/cripple various functionality. They are going to alter how the device behaves. Different debug tools may able to do this to different extents, and with different settings, but it's not the focus of most of the tool development. And it's always invasive to some extent.

To really understand how the device works in low power modes you should look to remove the debugger connection and output telemetry in the form of serial output, or GPIO state, toggling, etc.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

You're really asking a lot.

You can't expect things to power off and stop and still be able to communicate with the device, or other synchronous logic for that matter.

There are DBGMCU settings to change/cripple various functionality. They are going to alter how the device behaves. Different debug tools may able to do this to different extents, and with different settings, but it's not the focus of most of the tool development. And it's always invasive to some extent.

To really understand how the device works in low power modes you should look to remove the debugger connection and output telemetry in the form of serial output, or GPIO state, toggling, etc.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

OK, thanks.