cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text file compression for SDCard in stm32f072 discovery board

Alihussain Vohra
Associate III

I am using stm32f072 discovery board and using SDCard. I want to compress text data in SDCard. I gone through internet and found some libraries like uzlib and miniz...but can you suggest me what is the best way to compress data? is this possible to make zip file?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You can use your own compression algorithms, people tend to use the standard protocols to make it easier to recover the data without custom tools.

A simple LZ algorithm with a couple KB window can be quite effective on ASCII text files, would expect 2:1 ratio to be achievable relatively easily.

>>Is this possible to make zip file?

Software is like Lego, you can build whatever you're able.

.ZIP or .CAB files might be the easier to construct and recover. Phil Katz did describe his algorithms in a way most coders of the time could reconstruct. Mark Adler had code for the Deflate/Inflate algorithm.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

You can use your own compression algorithms, people tend to use the standard protocols to make it easier to recover the data without custom tools.

A simple LZ algorithm with a couple KB window can be quite effective on ASCII text files, would expect 2:1 ratio to be achievable relatively easily.

>>Is this possible to make zip file?

Software is like Lego, you can build whatever you're able.

.ZIP or .CAB files might be the easier to construct and recover. Phil Katz did describe his algorithms in a way most coders of the time could reconstruct. Mark Adler had code for the Deflate/Inflate algorithm.

16KB of RAM might limit options for history buffer, and hash tables.

Alihussain Vohra
Associate III

thanks @Community member​ ..... I will try to implement my own compression alogorithm....