Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggested IDE

jdcowpland
Associate II
Posted on December 10, 2013 at 11:15

Hi,

I've been using MikroElektronika as my IDE for the last couple of months but am now at the stage where I'm growing very frustrated with it's bugs and issues. Was wondering what others are using and what you would recommend?

Cheers!
16 REPLIES 16
pentruminister
Associate II
Posted on December 13, 2013 at 20:34

I'm a begginer.

After trying some six IDE's, i've settled for Atollic Truestudio light. The examples that come with Discovery board compile and work out of the box (only one exceeded 32k code size limit), and there are lots of projects online using Atollic. Still, in the future, for bigger projectes (RTOS etc.), one should get used to open source tools, I guess...

olavi
Associate III
Posted on December 16, 2013 at 05:35

For the past weeks I have used several of the free IDE alternatives.  My conclusion is that the

Em::Blocks

(http://www.emblocks.org) is the best.  The ST firmware for STM32F401/F429 supports directly only EWARM, MDK-ARM, and TrueSTUDIO.  With the cooperation on the EmBlocks site, I did create the missing project files to enable immediate development of your own applications using the ST firmware for these two excellent boards.

Please feel free to contact me for the project files.

jdcowpland
Associate II
Posted on December 19, 2013 at 10:23

Thanks Ollie, will give it a try.

st239955
Associate II
Posted on January 05, 2014 at 18:12

Have you been able to get the StlinkGDB to run? I keep getting errors that it can't find my device.

olavi
Associate III
Posted on January 06, 2014 at 04:12

The debugger has been a challenge for me.  Everything was OK with emBlocks 1.40.  After upgrading to 1.41 and 1.42 I have not been able to use the debugger with emBlocks.  My F401 and F429 debugging still works with IAR EW - thus the problem is not in H/W or core S/W.  I am waiting resolution from emBlocks developer.

I have left the default GDB server selection (STLinkGDB.exe 1/1/14 version)) in Debugger Interface Options.  When starting the download (F8), the command line window flashes and then the error dialog window opens.

st239955
Associate II
Posted on January 06, 2014 at 04:30

That's the same thing that's happening to me. I've even tried launching from the command line. It must be a bug in the latest windows builds of STLink (the open source version).

olavi
Associate III
Posted on January 06, 2014 at 16:23

With the help of the emBlocks developer, the problem is now solved.

The other STLinkGDB clients have the proper support for USB3.  With emBlocks you have to use USB2 or special USB drivers.  In my case, I had the USB3 in my Dell monitor and I didn't realize that.  In my computer all USB3 connectors are blue and USB2 connectors are black.  Once I connected STM32F4xx to my Dell keyboard (USB2) things resumed to work OK.

I did install the USB3 Renesas driver (http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19880/eng/USB3.0_allOS_2.1.28.1_PV.exe).  After that, I can connect STM32F4xx to the USB3 port in my computer.  This is not solving the USB3 problem in Dell monitor.