cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STMCube and SPL

caspar
Associate
Posted on January 23, 2015 at 11:26

having developed with the SPL in the past, and now tried the STMCube i would like to make a couple of observation.

- i understand the rational for the development of the STMcube tool, but it is forcing developers down a very particular route in the way that an application is developed.

- for a new user the SPL libraries were a steep learning curve.

- there is obviously a lot of overlap between the SPL and STMcube libraries, is ST really going to continue support for the SPL?

- most developers dont start from scratch, so it must be easy to integate legacy code, but still give us a good headstart when using a new piece of silicon.

So here is  my suggestion for a way to satisfy the high and low level demands of developers:

The SPL libraries should be the defacto low level interface.

STMcube should produce the middle layer wrapper using the SPL.

This would mean we could easily use STMcube to produce all the required hardware configuration , but would allow an easy migration to an SPL only implementation if the development required a 'leaner' approach.

At the end of the day ST needs to sell us silicon, and to do that they need to make our lives as product developers as easy as possible, while allowing us the maximum flexibility in our implementation.
13 REPLIES 13
Posted on February 20, 2015 at 12:09

Hi caspar,

We take all feedback and suggestions into consideration and are working hard to improve the STM32Cube experience for everyone. Keep submitting feedback and we'll keep working to make a better STM32Cube solution.

Of course we'll continue to support SPL!

Best regards,

Heisenberg.

thomaspietrzak9
Associate II
Posted on February 23, 2015 at 09:35

Hi,

I'm happy to read that ST still supports SPL. However I can't find it on the website. Can anybody help me?

Will the new STM32f7 be supported by SPL? (please 🙂 )
Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on February 23, 2015 at 16:16

Hi Thomas,

To make it clear: existing SPL will be supported and maintained. We are committed to keep it on existing STM32 series (STM32F0, STM32F1, STM32F2, STM32F3, STM32F4 and STM32L1).

These libraries may also be upgraded in case there are new members in previously listed series to be supported.

However, for new series like STM32L0 or STM32F7, STM32Cube package will be available, no SPL.

-Mayla-

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

nicolas239955_st
Associate
Posted on February 24, 2015 at 08:06

That's a real shame. I am very unpleased to learn that SPL won't be available for newer CPUs anymore. Note that I have registered an account on the forum for the sole reason to post this - I have been quietly following these discussions so far.

STM32Cube is in no way a usable, production-ready piece of software. Its broken design and implementation is beyond redemption at that point. Forcing it down to the end users by dropping SPL support for newer CPUs is definitely going to let me seek alternative vendors. I won't have the patience to untangle the horrible mess that is STM32Cube in order to reproduce an SPL out of it for newer CPUs.

danielczigany9
Associate II
Posted on February 24, 2015 at 10:11

Dear ST!

Sorry to hear, that you don't release the SPL for the new devices.

If the new series of STM32F7, STM32L0 will not supported through SPL, then I say it's time to move.

All of our design based on SPL (STM32F2, STM32F3 and STMF4 ).

We tried out the new CUBE, but it cointains bugs(lots) and the driver structure not so good as the SPL, and the documentation is

insufficient

. If we forced to use CUBE, then we well see what other possibilities on the market.

The CUBE is on the market about one year, but it still in alpha/beta state for me. Nearly every day more than one critical bug report is in this forum.

I totally agree with

noble.nicolas, the CUBE is not ready to use it in a real production environment.

I hope you change your mind!

thomaspietrzak9
Associate II
Posted on February 24, 2015 at 10:37

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. However if the SPL is still supported for these models, where are the links to download them? These are the [DEAD LINK /public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/cortex_mx_stm32/Flat.aspx?RootFolder=/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/cortex_mx_stm32/STM32%20Legacy%20Firmware%20Libraries&FolderCTID=0x01200200770978C69A1141439FE559EB459D7580009C4E14902C3CDE46A77F0FFD06506F5B&TopicsView=https://my.st.com/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/cortex_mx_stm32/AllItems.aspx&currentviews=9457]only ones I found, and are soon 3 years old, and 

http://www.st.com/web/catalog/tools/FM147/CL1794/SC961/SS1743/LN1734/PF259429

to SPL are replaced by STMCube content.

It is unfortunate that new series will not have SPL drivers. The Cube was a good initiative but in the end it is a big mess.

Posted on February 24, 2015 at 12:59

and 

http://www.st.com/web/catalog/tools/FM147/CL1794/SC961/SS1743/LN1734/PF259429

to SPL are replaced by STMCube content.

While there's a lot of distraction going on with the page, the red Download button at the bottom should get you the SPL code.

Anyway glad to see I'm not the only one.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
thomaspietrzak9
Associate II
Posted on February 24, 2015 at 19:20

You're right, I thought that since there is STMCube everywhere the link was for the cube.

By the way this way of distributing code here and there through hundred of pages, with more or less the last versions is quite a pain to browse. Why not using a repository? (GIT or whatever)
gevides
Associate II
Posted on July 29, 2015 at 00:55

Hi,

I have an old design that i have to modify a little and is  based on SPL v2.x . Where can I find these libraries?

thanks