cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STMCube and SPL

caspar
Associate
Posted on January 23, 2015 at 11:26

having developed with the SPL in the past, and now tried the STMCube i would like to make a couple of observation.

- i understand the rational for the development of the STMcube tool, but it is forcing developers down a very particular route in the way that an application is developed.

- for a new user the SPL libraries were a steep learning curve.

- there is obviously a lot of overlap between the SPL and STMcube libraries, is ST really going to continue support for the SPL?

- most developers dont start from scratch, so it must be easy to integate legacy code, but still give us a good headstart when using a new piece of silicon.

So here is  my suggestion for a way to satisfy the high and low level demands of developers:

The SPL libraries should be the defacto low level interface.

STMcube should produce the middle layer wrapper using the SPL.

This would mean we could easily use STMcube to produce all the required hardware configuration , but would allow an easy migration to an SPL only implementation if the development required a 'leaner' approach.

At the end of the day ST needs to sell us silicon, and to do that they need to make our lives as product developers as easy as possible, while allowing us the maximum flexibility in our implementation.
13 REPLIES 13
Posted on July 29, 2015 at 12:35

What version for what part?

[DEAD LINK /public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/cortex_mx_stm32/Flat.aspx?RootFolder=/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/cortex_mx_stm32/STM32%20Legacy%20Firmware%20Libraries&FolderCTID=0x01200200770978C69A1141439FE559EB459D7580009C4E14902C3CDE46A77F0FFD06506F5B&TopicsView=https://my.st.com/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/cortex_mx_stm32/AllItems.aspx&currentviews=10385]https://my.st.com/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/cortex_mx_stm32/Flat.aspx?RootFolder=%2fpublic%2fSTe2ecommunities%2fmcu%2fLists%2fcortex_mx_stm32%2fSTM32%20Legacy%20Firmware%20Libraries&FolderCTID=0x01200200770978C69A1141439FE559EB459D7580009C4E14902C3CDE46A77F0FFD06506F5B&TopicsView=https%3A%2F%2Fmy%2Est%2Ecom%2Fpublic%2FSTe2ecommunities%2Fmcu%2FLists%2Fcortex_mx_stm32%2FAllItems%2Easpx¤tviews=10385

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
gevides
Associate II
Posted on July 30, 2015 at 05:07

Thanks clive you are the best!

tm3341
Associate II
Posted on July 30, 2015 at 09:18

I'm another who hates Cube software but must use it because of F7 series.

Like previous says (and I already said that long time ago) Cube is very buggy.

I don't know how SPL was done very stable all the time, but cube version is 1.7 out and there are still horrible bugs.

Have a nice day. Hope I see SPL for all series forever.
marcosolano9
Associate II
Posted on October 02, 2015 at 22:37

Hello everyone. I worked with Microchip for years ending with the PIC32.

At one point, I wanted to move on to something that was really performance and contained more peripherals and that were proposed as a development platform for the future,

and I chose ST. SPL libraries were able to hang the work done in the past with what concerned the future ...

and just a few months of work and PAM!

the game was done. Meanwhile Microchip launched its new PIC32MX ...

but what do they do? integrate all  into that crap ... Harmony have harmonized nothing ... and suddenly, all those who stack graphics, peripherals, devices designed with a base low-level libraries with PLIB they throw it in the toilet ...

a hundred stack colossal that after 20 years of study, I will not even look. I calm down ...

now I switched to ST ... and monster Microchip middle finger.

It turns out the STM32F7 and what I see? the same thing to ST  : O ...

I can not believe it ... and you call me to progress? progress (your) need to get used to the professionals before ... the ones that give you to eat ... who buy hundreds and hundreds of your chip, 

those who are already working in this area for years and buy the numbers based on millions of lines of code ...

not the boys of 'universities (with respect) that need little something new, a flashing LED and makes them play chess. You wanted to change? ...

Ok .. you were doing slowly appreciating feedback. Instead the only feedback I see are 4 post around here, very poor documents and crumbling example,

!!you have to study the libraries opening them!!!

maybe it was better make the libraries themselves?

what are you doing with the CUBE .. a box for droppings. containing your brilliant ideas and a way so personal programming or that you have no idea how to do,  

... here's my feedback.