cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32U5A9 MIPI DSI Configuration Issue - Distorted Images / Timeout

UKhan.2
Associate II

Hello ST Community,

I'm facing a MIPI DSI configuration issue with my STM32U5A9 and TFT LCD. When using PHY DSI as the DSI lane byte clock source, my code fails with a timeout on HAL_DSI_ShortWrite. When I switch to PLL3P, the initialization proceeds, but the LCD displays distorted images.

Request for Assistance: I'm new to MIPI and suspect a misconfiguration in clock settings. Any insights on proper configurations or similar experiences with STM32U5A9 MIPI DSI would be greatly appreciated.

Details:

• MCU: STM32U5A9
  • LCD: TFT LCD with st7796S
  • Clock Source: PHY DSI (fails) / PLL3P (distorted images)

UKhan2_0-1701171434609.png

Your help in resolving this challenge is appreciated. Share your insights or suggestions if you've encountered a similar problem.

Thank you,

13 REPLIES 13
KDJEM.1
ST Employee

Hello @UKhan.2 ,

Are you using DSI  ULPM mode? 

If it is the case, I advise you to take a look to DSI_ULPM_DataClock . In this example the DSI clock should be derived from the clock tree PLL3.PLLP (ck_plldsi) clock for instance to allow a switch-off of the PLL DPHY to save power during the ULPM phase.

More information about the clock configuration in README.md.

I hope this help you!

Kaouthar

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Yes, we are using DSI ULPM mode, and we started with the DSI_ULPM_DataClock example. We've adjusted the configurations for our 320×480 RGB888 display, following their suggested clock source (PLL3.PLLP). However, we're experiencing a distorted image on the screen, and the displayed colors don't match our intended ones when drawing shapes like rectangles. Any suggestions on resolving this issue?

KDJEM.1
ST Employee

Hi @UKhan.2 ,

Could you please refer to LTDC datasheet and check the timing configuration and the pixel clock configuration.

Note that the LTCD_CLK must be calculated using the parameters found in the display datasheet.

Please take a look to AN4861 and precisely 6 LTDC application examples section 6.

Thank you.

Kaouthar

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Dear Kaouthar,

Thank you for your response on the ST community forum. I appreciate the guidance you provided, and I have a few follow-up questions:

LTDC Clock Calculation:

In my current understanding, I am utilizing the following formula for FPS:

Fps = LCD_PCLK / ((LCD_WIDTH + LCD_HBP + LCD_HFP + LCD_HSW) * (LCD_HEIGHT + LCD_VBP + LCD_VFP + LCD_VSW))

Additionally, for MIPI configuration:

mipi_mbps = ((LCD_WIDTH + LCD_HBP + LCD_HFP + LCD_HSW) * (LCD_HEIGHT + LCD_VBP + LCD_VFP + LCD_VSW) * fps * 24) / MIPI_LANE

Might I be directed to the specific section in the LTDC datasheet where the relationship or formula connecting the display parameters for LTDC clock calculation is outlined? I can't seem to find that there.

UKhan2_2-1701279223978.png

PHY Timing Values:

I've included my current MIPI TFT display configurations for reference:

#define MIPI_LANE 1 // MIPI channel number selection, 1-4

#define LCD_WIDTH 320 // LCD width
#define LCD_HEIGHT 480 // LCD height

#define LCD_HBP 4 //Horizontal back porch
#define LCD_HFP 10 //Horizontal front porch
#define LCD_HSW 2 //Horizontal sync width

#define LCD_VBP 8 //Vertical back porch
#define LCD_VFP 6 //Vertical front porch
#define LCD_VSW 2 //vertical sync width

#define LCD_PCLK 10 //LCD PCLK clock setting, unit Mhz
#define LCD_PCLK_P0LARITY 0 //LCD PCLK clock polarity setting, 0=no inversion, 1=inversion
#define LCD_DE_P0LARITY 0 //DE polarity, 0=active low, 1=active high
#define LCD_HSYNC_P0LARITY 0 //HSYNC polarity, 0=low effective, 1=high effective
#define LCD_VSYNC_P0LARITY 0 //VSYNC polarity, 0=active low, 1=active high

In relation to the HS to LS and LP to HS timings, could you recommend specific values?

UKhan2_0-1701278516041.png

Uncertain about the necessity, I have an external oscillator operating at a frequency of 24.576MHz serving as the input frequency:

UKhan2_1-1701278975637.png

Any additional insights or specific recommendations you can provide would be immensely helpful.

Thank you for your continued support.

Best regards,

>>Any additional insights or specific recommendations you can provide would be immensely helpful.

Out-flow rate on DSI needs to EXCEED LTDC deliver rate. Just meeting might work, the porches give you some leeway.

If the colours and lines mess up, it's likely a frame buffer or geometry issue.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

If you have a 320x480 don't set parameters for the active to be 304x464, that aint going to work

Are you sure the screen/buffer aren't rotated.

Provide a SPECIFIC part# and data sheet for the DISPLAY, it'll save a lot of confusion and wasted time/effort.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

I appreciate your responses and insights into resolving the display issues we are currently facing. Based on your recommendations, I have a few follow-up questions to seek further guidance.

1. Debugging Frame Buffer or Geometry Issues:
Could you provide guidance on how to effectively debug and verify whether the observed issues are related to frame buffer or geometry problems? We want to ensure we address the root cause accurately.

2. Addressing Color and Line Distortion:
Attached is a picture of our display, which is not rendering as expected. Instead of a white color with clear text, we're experiencing color and line distortions in the displayed content. Any insights on rectifying this issue would be immensely helpful.

UKhan2_0-1701346362221.png

3. Screen/Buffer Rotation Settings:
I couldn't locate information regarding screen/buffer rotation in the datasheet. Could you please guide me on where to find these settings or provide any relevant information to address concerns about screen/buffer rotation?

4. Display Part Number and Datasheet:
Our custom display utilizes the ST7796 controller. I'm providing the controller details below. Additionally, I've attached the datasheet for your reference.

UKhan2_1-1701346438471.png

Datasheet: [Attached]

5. DDR Configuration and Clock Observation:
We are uncertain about whether our ST7796 controller supports double data rate (DDR). Currently, the clock observed on the oscilloscope attached to the MIPI lines is half the PLL DSI's configured clock.

Could be that perhaps with DDR, transfer data on both the rising and falling edges of the clock - the effective data rate is twice the clock frequency. Is there a way to disable this for the Stm32U5?

Your expertise and guidance on these matters would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and assistance.

Best regards,

KDJEM.1
ST Employee

Hi @UKhan.2 ,

Thank you for this update.

Might I be directed to the specific section in the LTDC datasheet where the relationship or formula connecting the display parameters for LTDC clock calculation is outlined? I can't seem to find that there. 6.2.4 LTDC peripheral configuration Section  (Pixel clock configuration page 78)

Could you please take a look to AN4860 may be the 5. DSI host configuration Section and  6 STM32CubeMX configuration example Section. I think can help you to use DSI host. 

I hope this help you to solve the issue.

Thank you.

Kaouthar

Thank you for your suggestion.

I'm reviewing AN4860, specifically the 5th DSI host configuration section and the 6th STM32CubeMX configuration example section.

I do have one question: Could you clarify whether the Pixel clock being set there :
UKhan2_1-1701427977822.png
is equivalent to the LTDC Clock in my case?

UKhan2_0-1701427950805.png

I'm unable to locate the pixel clock setup in my .ioc file.

Appreciate your assistance!