cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32U595 USB_CoreReset() does not work with clock source set to HSE/2

Lukasz Nowak
Associate III

I am using a 32 MHz crystal with STM32U595 and I noticed that selecting HSE/2 (16 MHz) as OTG HS Clock Mux source results in USB_CoreReset() getting stuck in the loop waiting for the reset to complete:

do
  {
    count++;

if (count > HAL_USB_TIMEOUT)
    {
      return HAL_TIMEOUT;
    }
  } while ((USBx->GRSTCTL & USB_OTG_GRSTCTL_CSRST) == USB_OTG_GRSTCTL_CSRST);

Other configurations of OTG HS Clock Mux, appear to work:

- PLL1P configured to 16 MHz

- HSE with OTG PHY reference clock selection set to 32 MHz

Here is my complete clock tree, which doesn't work - just switching OTG HS to PLL1P resolves the issue:

LukaszNowak_0-1720643022925.png

3 REPLIES 3
FBL
ST Employee

Hi @Lukasz Nowak 

You mean you tried switching to the PLL1P clock source to resolve your issue? Check the PLLM (PLL1M) with a 1 divider or consider decreasing the power supply VOS. For the proper operation of the interface, an accurate clock is essential. Increasing the PLL divider may impact precision and stability. I suspect the issue lies with the precision of the interface clock, not the kernel clock.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi @FBL 

The HSE clock is a 32MHz 10ppm crystal.
The only input to OTG HS Clock Mux which does not work is HSE/2 at 16MHz.
Using HSE input at 32MHz works and PLL1P at 16MHz also works.

btw with a 32MHz input, PLLM divider cannot be 1 - it exceeds the maximum frequency.

If you need me to provide any additional information, do let me know. Thanks.

Lukasz

FBL
ST Employee

Hi @Lukasz Nowak 

Strange behavior! I'm using HSE input at 16MHz and it works without issues! So, if you are suspecting the divider of HSE feeding the kernel, I will change the oscillator and try to reproduce on my end. 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.